Type of glass to use for booth "window"?

Oh, and one more thing Rod, when you state double layers of drywall, are you meaning you can hang drywall on yet another sheet of drywall with long enough screws to get in that stud? Again, please understand you are talking to an amatuer when it comes to construction! Have mercy!

SG - to answer both posts at the same time -

Heck - you can put 4 layers of drywall on the face of a 2 x 4 wall - the more the merrier - if you only have one (even with isolated wall construction) you will not get much isolation.

As far as the window goes - the maximum isolation would be to keep the glas parallel and as close to the face of drywall as is possible........ BUT - I have always liked the look of angled glass - and if you can acheive that - (and yes it is doable with 2x4 walls) and the glass is sized as I mention above - then by all means go for it.

Rod

As far as the window goes - the maximum isolation would be to keep the glas parallel and as close to the face of drywall as is possible........ BUT
but what I have is an 8 x 6 area. Nothing is up at this point except the interior wall portion which seperates the booth from the main room.
SG- Rods answer notwithstanding, this is assuming there are no other flanking paths...such as common HVAC ducts feeding adjacent spaces, or a common cieling with a TL less than the wall, or common sidewalls that continue past the partition wall and were shiethed prior to building the partition wall, not to mention possibly a WOOD FRAMED FLOOR that is common to both rooms. :eek: Its difficult to envision the state of your construction at this point or even the plan. Remember WEAK LINKS. You haven't even mentioned a door into this area you refer to as a booth. It too would need to match the transmission loss of the surrounding assembly or your wasting your time and money. Why spend the money putting in two layers of drywall, two leafs of heavy glass, and then penetrate the partition with a HOLLOW CORE DOOR!:D

Is this "8'x6'' area the booth? Are both spaces just studs at this point or are you partitioning off an area of a room that is already drywalled? What are you doing for ventilation once you partition off the space? Is there a door in the same wall as the window? These are a few questions that have a bearing on the successfull "isolation" via this partition.
Personally, and this isn't knocking Rods answers, but I feel it's importand to add, without knowing the whole ball of wax regarding existing construction,
no one can properly assess whether its worth this added expense and time, when in fact it may be a lesson in hindsight and poor judgement by virtue of existing or planned components that may negate this added mass. Maybe you can tell us a bit more about the state of existing construction and other things such as your plan for ventilation/HVAC before you commence.
fitZ

OK. At this point, yes we have two audio booths at 6 x 8 seperated by 2 x 4 walls and a very narrow door. No ductwork, as the unit will be cooled by an enery hogging window unit located in the center of the mixing/media room. It will be hot in the audio booths, especially for lengthy sessions, but that was the original plan. If we need to take a break and cool off, then we just migrate to the mixing room and open the door to allow some fresh air. No prob!

Thanks for the great idea of not using a hollow door! I did not think of that!

I did not mean to not answer your question earlier, yes, all we have is the interior wall and wall partition with the door frame - nothing is drywalled or even insulated for that matter. Yes, it is a wood floor. Again, I appreciate your responses!

Two other factors that have nothing to do with sound transmission or lack of same...

Glass is cheaper than plexi.

And way harder to scratch- your window will stay clear, and thus usable, much longer.

...I did not just revive this thread........I know it looks like I did, but I swear I didn't. I ain't lyin'. :D

Last edited:
Im building a home studio and I have built a 4×4 booth out of wood 2x4's and I was wondering what I should do about the glass window..I was told that I should install two windows angled..any suggestions?

Best is a layered compounded glass of varying thickness.

Where are you in this world?

Nevermind, I know. I might be able to help you out with price of window, but shipping may be the biggest cost.

You should elaborate more on your booth construction. Sounds a bit small and way vague in details....

Booth has soundproof insulation between studs plan to use channels on inside wall with 2 layers of 1/2 sheetrock and 5/8 on outer not sure if this is correct but im kind of winging it

---------- Update ----------

Would laminate glass be ok and what thickness

While you're winging it...did you consider ventilation?
It will be more important than a window for such a small booth.

Just some thoughts I have had on the subject...In UK at least, internal glass, such as in a door, HAS to be safety glass. In a studio since there is I would think a good chance of some spaced idiot not seeing it, same applies?

These days you can pick up s/h 24" and bigger FSTVs for £25 or so and wee cameras for about the same so a 'back to back' CCTV system could come in under £100? You could even use the internal speakers for talkback (with the usual anti-feedback gating)

Dave.

Back