Treating a small wooden cabin with slanting roof and weird bits

thegoodsir

Hello all
first post here although I have been lurking for a while whilst the wooden cabin on our roof is being built. Well, it is almost complete now (please see photo attached) and I have a few questions about how to treat it. I have got some ideas from reading the various posts but there are some odd features of my cabin/studio so inevitably I still have some queries. I would be very grateful for any advice!
OK, so first off, the photo is taken having just walked in the door, looking down longways. The cabin is about 18.5m2. The walls and roof are pine with layers of rockwool and more pine behind them. In theory my desk will go just to the left of the funny bit of wall that juts out into the centre, just left of centre (the bit with the window in it). There is actually about 2.5m in there, going back to the back wall which you cannot see in the photo. But the issue then would be that my monitors (which are nearfield monitors, Adam A7x to be precise) would be facing the wall on your right in the photo, ie they would not be going down the length of the room but across the width. Also, the roof slopes across the width so the speakers would be where the roof is lowest (wall at left in the photo, just before the bit that sticks out with the window) pointing to the wall where it is highest (wall at right in photo). I think maybe this is a bit of a narrow space for the speakers (even though they are nearfield and I am making electronic music using soft and hardware synths), as it is only about 2.5m wide.
Anyway, if anyone has any guidance or further questions which will help me get started on treating the room acoustically, I would be very appreciative!. Oh, one more thing, the floor you see is chipboard. Soon there will be a layer of parquet on top of that and, I am guessing, some strategically placed rugs!
Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_2724.JPG
    IMG_2724.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
woah 250 views and no replies yet :( Maybe I am not giving enough info or I am giving the wrong info? By the way, the length of the cabin is about 5.5m and the width is about 2.5m

I have no answers for you.
But, it looks cool so far. Maybe some more pictures of the space would get you some more answers and help.
:D

And smaller sized photos would be nice too. :)

Keep in mind many if not most of those views are bots. Not actual members.

OK here is a picture from the other angle, I am sorry in advance if it's too big, I can't seem to find a way to make it smaller. Also it isn't very good quality as it was taken on my not very smartphone late at night. But with the two photos we can now see the whole thing. And I would be intending to have my speakers in the top right of the second photo, faving across the width of the room, and following the roof up its slope. I really hope someone will be able to give me at least a couple of tips!
Many thanks!
20151125_232137.jpg

ps the window on the immediate right in the second photo is the same as the one on the right in the first photo, it's just that the wall has been painted white in the meantime!

Yeah, anything specific would be best for you to divulge.

None of us are necessarily experts in any way, but many of us have years of learning from those that do room setups for a living and have acoustically treated our spaces based upon that advice. And some of us have spent a shit-ton of money to get there. If you really want any direct advice, place up some dimensions and at least a floor plan. This beating around the bush thing is taking the fun out of screwing up your room! LOL!

Seriously 'goodsir' I assume that you did some research already as you stated layer of rockwool between the layers of wall/ceiling panels.

Hey guys thanks again for your time. Here is a kind of plan, I hope it will be good enough. As mentioned before the walls and roof are pine with rockwool behind them. The floor will be parquet. The roof slopes down across the width as in the diagram below the floor plan. Have a good day and thanks in advance for any insight!
20151128_105605-1.jpg

That's a narrow room, not much to work with. Why would you NOT want to set up your mixing position on one of the 256cm walls, facing the long way into the room? Do you need to use both the side door and the sliding glass doors? Corners need bass traps or superchunks. Depending on your monitors, you may need some absorption behind them (front wall) and you'll need a ceiling cloud over your mixing area, too, which will help negate the sloping ceiling.

Thanks very much for your help. Yeah it's just that the most logical place for a desk seems to be that 240cm space at top right on the plan. anything else would get in the way of the doors. hmm, what to do...

Thanks very much for your help. Yeah it's just that the most logical place for a desk seems to be that 240cm space at top right on the plan. anything else would get in the way of the doors. hmm, what to do...

Do whatever it takes to get it set up to mix into the length instead of the width :-) Also try and keep your monitors 12" to 24" away the wall if possible.

Back