"treating" a shed

abbo69nz

Hi guys, I was after a bit of advice.

Basically Im looking for a way to treat the sound of my shed, which will now be home to my bands practice/rehearsal.
Its going to have the usual items in it, Guitar amp, Bass amp, Acoustic Drum kit, vocal pa etc, Currently its only really the drumkit that Im really not happy with, Echoey etc.
Ive got carpet on the floor and thats about it at this stage and am looking for a relatively cheap way to help with the sound, any improvement would be good.
Im not concerned at all about making it "soundproof" (i use that term loosely), Merely looking to make it sound better within the room,
Do the ol' egg crates work?... any other suggestions? would it help if I posted some pics of the shed and gave dimensions etc?
thanks guys

Do the ol' egg crates work?
Sure they do. They keep eggs from breaking...if you're careful. :D As far as room treatment?
Well, they "might" provide a modicum of diffusion..but I doubt you could hear it. And they might even absorb a bit at certain high frequencies due to inherent material absorption characteristics/geometry ..but I doubt if you could measure it precisely or hear it.:) However, for the unenlightened Studio DIY'er, they work best at emptying your wallet.:D

As far as treatment advice is concerned, understand that "cheap" is a relative term, and when used in conjunction with treatment, they become an oxymoron. ie...in relationship to a very large pro studio..treatment=REAL expensive. For a small shed...for what you receive in return=cheap. In real numbers, it's in ratio to how deep your pockets are. But to give you an example..

My Control room=8'x14'x18'= absorption material requirement more than I could afford at the time. Real purchase=4 panels 4"x48"x120" and 3 panels 3"x48"x120"=$600 at the time. More like $725 now.
The product was Knauf rigid fiberglass. And this was only the absorption side of the equation.

To purchase what I REALLY needed would have cost approx double what I did purchase. Moral of story= You do what you can.

would it help if I posted some pics of the shed and gave dimensions etc?
Yes. It will help determine what you need based on minimum requirements, which will tell you if your pockets are deep enough. And btw, welcome to the land of DIY acoustic treatment. :)

Last edited:
Sure they do. They keep eggs from breaking...if you're careful. hahaha
I guess Ill ring the bakeries and tell them I don't need there excess egg cartons after all!!
Ill get some pics and dimensions up, Basically Just want to enhance our rehearsal area as best we can, at present you can really notice it on the drums, echoey and tinny, and very... shedish.. lol
thanks guys

You want rigid fiberglass, and lots of it.

Rock or mineral wool will also do the trick, but it is a little more difficult to work with.

Cheers,

SC

Back