Trailer Studio

DaveX

Like I mentioned in some earlier posts, my studio is located in a trailer. The trailer is a 1950's model (read: old, but solid) and measures 10x50... anyway. Because of the rental agreement, I am not allowed to do major work on the trailer, which would include drop ceilings, new walls, gun turrets, clock towers, or an extensive system of underground tunnels in which I can breed an unholy race of chinchillas trained to seek out and devour Hanson kids until none remain.

My main problem (aside from the lack of elevated shooting positions) is that I have no clue how to make CHEAP, YET MEANINGFUL changes that would improve my acoustics. So far, I have gotten the idea to drape the windows with some heavy blankets, as well as put string from wall to wall so that blankets can hang on it, creating movable baffles.

Mostly, I use the large front room, which is about 20 feet long, by 10 feet wide. At the far end, the wall begins up at a slope, so it is not perpendicular with the floor. It then moves straight up, but joins the ceiling in a curve. The walls and ceiling have no 90 degree angle, they are sort of rounded together. They are made of firm and shiny wood of a trailer variety. Half of the room is carpet, half is vinyl floor. I record guitars, drums, vocals, insane noises you never heard before... you name it. Normally, though, my volume is not very high.

What do you think I could do, and what are cheap ways to do it?

Dave

You might try as a very cheap way to improve the sound a book case or 2.

Books can absorb and whats better is that the different shape and size of the books helps to break the reflections.

It's cheap and eveybody has books.

You may want to try some other materials to create baffles for sound. I had some very reflective wall surfaces in a rather small area (read: too much room sound). I jaunted to the local Wal-Mart and picked up some Queen size mattress pads. This is the same material and design I've seen advertised for ridiculous amounts of money in recording catalogs. As long as you don't mind yellow instead of gray, they shoud be fine. I find them to be very easy to move, shape, and hang in various places (painter's tape holds well and does not agitate landlords due to lack of strong adhesives). Are you from Carbondale PA?

Not Pennsylvania, no... The baffle idea is good. Actually, a solution presented itself to me today. My insane mother-in-law (who is actually quite disturbed) likes to go shopping at thrift stores for things nobody wants, and then drop off loads of shit for them throughout the day. I usually pawn the stuff, or throw it out, because if I didn't, I would have a house full of crap. It's a real problem.

For some reason, she decided to get a huge roll of ugly carpet, which was surprisingly new. She also got a big thing of foam padding... why? I have no idea. Usually, we just get plastic trinkets, paper plate holders, smelly thermos things, you name it. Well, I figure the carpet and foam may work well for sound absorbtion, so it seems my problem is solved. (except for my unholy race of chinchillas, of course)

How weird.

DaveX

Back