The time is drawing near and I need to firm up my assumptions

pikingrin

what is this?
First off, the internet is amok with "soundproofing" this and that and I trust the folks here more than I do some random site on the internet. With that said, I've been browsing the old threads in the studio building area here and I've come to some assumptions that I would like confirmation on (if possible) before I get at finishing up my space.

My room dimensions are 17' w x 25' 3" l x 10' h and my main concern is with taming the space so that it is suitable for acoustic and electric guitar recording (with amps, not sims), as well as percussion, bass and possibly some brass in the future. The flooring going down is 10mm laminate (fit the budget) and I've already got an area rug I can use around the mixing area.

My assumptions that need validation are as follows:

1) Bass traps need to be floor to ceiling to be completely effective.

2) Cloud should only need to cover "first reflection" points above or only above mixing area (and should have air gap to be more effective).

3) Using gobos with reflective sides, even over an area rug, can still make an acoustic sound "better" to a particular mic when properly positioned. (This one is subjective and will probably just require experimentation to figure out)

4) Some sort of diffuser on the wall opposite the desk would be better than nothing at all.
-This is where it gets a bit flustering to me, all of my guitars/cases will be along the back wall since there is not a closet in the room. I could build a wall to put those behind but being so far back (around 18' from mixing area) I did not know if it would make a difference and thought it best to keep the space open.

I don't plan on having much furniture, outside of my desk and a homemade rack, a bookshelf, a few stools and an office chair for the mixing desk so there's not going to be much to break up the sound other than a few amps around the room. Would it make sense to look more into other areas around the room to treat?

Start with the corner traps/superchunks and cloud over the mixing area, first reflection point absorption, and then see how much more trapping you may need.

Back