Things to do in a studio under construction when you're bored

mshilarious

Banned
My studio construction is done, but the gear is kind of a mess right now. So tonight when I went in there to gather some stuff to solder, I noticed a quiet hiss, like a speaker that's left on with no signal. Except that my power amp isn't even hooked up. Hmmm . . . maybe the studio is haunted?

Finally I traced it to the reflection of the furnace fan (with the studio door open) off of a poster in the studio. The walls are covered with rigid fiberglass, so the poster was the only source of hiss.

So I entertained myself for a solid 5 minutes moving my ear back and forth from the poster to the wall and listening to the hiss disappear.

Aaaah . . . simple pleasures for simple minds.

oh good, i can ask you a question.

i have space in my basement. i'm going to frame some space with a raised floor that doesn't touch the actual basement concrete walls.

I intended to put drywall on the outside of the frame, then rockwool or fiberglass inside the frame, and then drywall (2 layers of differing thickness) on the inside.

but what you are saying is that you put rigid fiberglass on the inside of the frame.

Jeez howd I miss that?

Copying...

Glad your around to share your experience, knowledge, and sense of humor!!

T

crosstudio said:
but what you are saying is that you put rigid fiberglass on the inside of the frame.

What you're planning on doing is soundproofing, which is good I have some of that too. However your room will also need sound treatment. That's what insulation on the face of the wall does. Depending on your room, you only need enough to keep pesky reflections to a minimum. However I have a teeny tiny space so I made it completely dead (except for the poster).

There's also the issue of absorbing bass frequencies. Check out Ethan Winer's site for more info.

mshilarious said:
So I entertained myself for a solid 5 minutes moving my ear back and forth from the poster to the wall and listening to the hiss disappear.

Aaaah . . . simple pleasures for simple minds.

There are many things you can do in a partially constructed studio to entertain yourself. Here is my list for this year:

1. While "taking a break" from studio construction, bring up all your boxes of vehicle wiring "snips" and arrange them on the floor. Kick a few under things so you spend days looking for something that "was just here". Make a wiring harness for a vehicle.

2. Remember that the garage isn't heated, but the studio shell is, so bring up a block, all your power tools, a pair of heads, and clean up the block in preperation for a stroker kit and port both cylinder heads using a dremel. Make sure you get cast iron dust on everything, including the ceiling, the wall mounted cordless phone, and shake yourself off each night to ensure the floor is equally covered.

3. watch iron dust slowly rust on every surface.

4. Complete engine, then realize completed, assembled engine won't fit through doorway. Realize it has to be lowered down the stairs to the outside yard, so build complex scaffolding/crane out of 2x8's you need to complete the studio, using lag bolts. Remove engine from studio. Sweep iron dust into huge pile in center or room, and step over it for 6 months.

5. Install Leviton "key" switches so that power that will eventually feed teh studio gear and the computers, cannot accidentally be shut off. Lose both keys. Order replacement keys, put them on ledge near switches, watch them fall into the wall just where you can't reach them. Swear profusely, then spill your coffee off the same ledge, onto your table saw.

6. While still taking a break from studio construction, decide to honor wife's request for bookcases. Drag all the metal working power tools down into the garage, then drag all the woodworking power tools into the studio. Cut every piece a hair too short, thus making a slightly smaller bookcase than anticipated. Decide thats good enough, and make five more to the same dimensions and pretend its intentional. Sweep sawdust off walls, ceiling, windows, and the cordless phone mounted on the wall, then sweep all that to completely cover the pile of iron dust in the center of the room. Step over that for 2 months.

7. Show all your friends your progress, and they were truly impressed because the last time most of them actually saw the space was when my studio was a framed 2x6 structure with "see through" walls, supporting the uninsulated roof. Thats how far I tore this place apart. Notice how every friend without exception notices the 2' high pile of iron dust and sawdust in the center of the room.

One of these days, I might actually get back to sanding spackle/mud. I actually did enough mudding over the last six months that I only have one more swadge to run across a long seam, then I can continue sanding to completion.

I am a master procrastinator.

And my table saw still has dried coffee on it. In fact, glancing across the room, I have about 25 empty dunkin donuts cups sitting on it. :-D

I'm not sure which is worse, procrastination, or generally being a slob.

frederic said:
And my table saw still has dried coffee on it. In fact, glancing across the room, I have about 25 empty dunkin donuts cups sitting on it. :-D

I bet if you filled those cups with fiberglass, you'd have a pretty good bass trap.

I took my daughter for a hearing test the other day -- as soon as we entered this tiny room, our voices just seemed to drop to the floor. The space was SO dead. Very cool. I wonder if they rent the space out?

I bet if you filled those cups with fiberglass, you'd have a pretty good bass trap.

HA! :D

G

Back