Is there any way to kill two birds with my studio monitors?

rkearns10

Hi everyone.. hope all is well.

Here's my question/dilemma:

I've recently built a home vinyl setup and bought a pair of emotiva 5S studio monitors as my "speakers". -- They came highly recommended, but the reason I pulled the trigger on these is that I've read that they can both pose as a studio monitor for mixing and also have a dynamic enough range where they can easily be used as speakers as well.

I'm currently building a home recording setup and was wondering... how can I plug my monitors into my PC to have them channel audio from the PC and my vinyl setup?

The emotivas have both an XLR input on each speaker and also a RCA, which I currently use on my vinyl setup via a phono preamp.

So my two additional questions are:

1) Is there some kind of all-encompassing adapter that would allow me to use my monitors simultaneously via record player and also plugged into my tower? In essence just toggling back and forth between turntable and PC?

2) If not, is there some kind of adapter out there that would just let me channel audio from the computer through the monitors? Worst case scenario is I switch back and forth between plugging the monitors into the PC and then back into the phono pre amp? I can live with that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys and gals.

Sure there is a way to kill two birds with your monitors.....provided you have a good aim and a forceful enough throw.:D

Sorry couldn't resist, pardon my attempt at humor.

Welcome to the forum!

As Jimmy says, a monitor controller is your answer. It will also allow you to use more than one set which is good.
Google Monitor controller, there are a lot of good options out there to fit your needs and budget.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Is this one of those purchases you don't want to skimp on? I'm seeing average prices of around $300... just curious if I should just go ahead at that range or seek cheaper as it's more-or-less a supportive role in the equation.

I have had mine for 3 years. Once a full can of beer was spilled on it. It still kickin. :drunk:

It does not seem that you need so many options yet, but you likely will in the future. I am not sure I have ever heard of anything cheaper than $300 that would do what you want unless you tried a Behri mixer. And that would just be a waste of money IMO for what you need.

The Mackie Big Knob or the Presonus Monitor Station are your best bets. Useable in your future studio needs.

So how would this work exactly input wise?

Some kind of input from the computer into the monitor controller (USB, Aux) and then RCA's from the monitors into the controller as well? Lastly Phono Preamp into controller as well?

Trying to wrap my head around this one.

If you are using a recording interface, you connect the Monitor Controller between the outputs of your interface and your monitors or amp running them with appropriate cable. Plug in your Phono player with appropriate cable. From your computer speaker output to the controller with appropriate cable.

Your monitors connect with appropriate cable from the Monitor Controller.

It is just that easy.

Back