TANNOY Reveal 402

nickson

Hello, guys!
I'm here because I'm thinking of buying the very first studio monitors for recording & mixing heavy music (like death metal, metalcore etc.).
I've gone through a lot of reviews, the monitors I liked most are TANNOY Reveal 402 (they also fit my budget at this point). I must say that I know it would be better to hear them by myself before buying, but the problem is that I can't. I just can order them from where I live.
So, I wanted to ask: are those ones any good for that kind of music? Maybe there are some owners here to write their opinion on this matter? I'd appreciate that. Thank you.

Tannoy make great speakers, but 4" mains .... I see they go down to 56Hz on the low end - I didn't look for a frequency chart, but there's probalby some drop off before that point. So that means they won't go down to the low E on a bass - and if you have a bass with a low B string, they're not even close.

What size is your room, and do you have any acoustic treatment? Without treatment, monitor choice barely matters.

My room is 3x5 m. (or 10x16 feet). I have no acoustic treatment yet, but that's also part of a plan.
So your advice is to look for monitors with low-end below 50 Hz? I guess I need better budget then...

The little JBL 305 is a good entry-level monitor. Musician's Friend has them on sale now for a pretty darn good deal: JBL LSR305 5" Powered Studio Monitor (Pair) | Musician's Friend

A friend of mine has a pair of them, and while I've only listened to them a few times, I thought that they were a good bang for the buck. They don't go super low (43 Hz on the spec sheet), but I think they're well matched for a small room.

I've got those JBLs - just note that they have rear bass ports, so you need bass traps on the front wall (behind them). That's a good deal from MF - they have the sale about once a year, and Guitar Center will match it if you walk in and show them - it's what I paid a year ago.

The Musician's Friend Deal of the Day today is the 402s for $79.99 each…If you're looking at getting them, today's the day!

The Musician's Friend Deal of the Day today is the 402s for $79.99 each…If you're looking at getting them, today's the day!

There's a reason they're only $79.99 each today. IMO they are terrible monitors unless you're just going to use them as substitutes for your PC speakers on your desktop.

I'm with those who advised you to get the JBL 305's. Great price and you will be very happy.

This is not the first time I've heard the JBLs mentioned as a good choice...Unfortunately, I fell for the KRK hype, but I think I will be switching over sooner rather than later.

Back