Switch from control room to live room and back -> acoustic treatment

Dicus

Enthusiastic Member
Hey Guys,

So thanks to all the great help on this forum I'm almost finished with the acoustic treatment in my room. I'll soon put up some pics. Right now I have absorbers for all first reflections including a cloud above my desk and bass traps in all four corners (not all finished yet). But also a cloud above my drum kit.

I was wondering is there anyway in which I could swap my acoustic treatment around to make it more ideal for when I record and then swap it back for mixing?
For example, do I need bass traps when I'm recording my drumkit? Or could I put those 15cm thick absorbers around my drumkit to get rid of the reflections from all four walls?

I've been looking for questions like this one but couldn't find any. Does anyone has any experience with swapping treatment around to change a control room in a live room?

It all depends on what the 'live room' sounds like! Most of us are dealing with small rooms that really don't sound good untreated. Drums can produce a lot of reverb from near walls, and if that bounces around enough and back into the mics, it can sound pretty crappy.
Make your traps with hook-and-eyes so you can pull them down and move them as needed in the room.

Also a few free-standing screens can really come in handy when you want to alter the sound of the room. I have a couple of 32" x 72" x 3" screens that are hinged down the middle (GIK Acoustics Screen Panel). When I'm tracking vocals or acoustic guitar, I pull them out and make a little booth out of them. When I'm mixing, I fold them up and put them in the rear corners of the room so they serve as somewhat functional bass traps. It's a pretty handy setup, I must say.

Back