A Summer Rebuild of the famous Shaky Hills Studios

drivenadam

Hello friends,

since we did move to another location over winter and now coming back to our sunny studio, we had to admit that we did a lot of mistakes in the past but i guess this is just another part of trial and error. Also our needs have changed and we´re now, as a band, in the songwriting process. So right now I´m a little bit in a conflict with myself:

On one Hand I´m thinking that you don´t need fancy stuff to do songwriting. It´s actually luxury having 1 floor monitor (LD Systems mon 121), 2 pa speakers on stands, 2 guitar amps, bass amp and drumset, and also couple two mixers with built in effects. That should be more than enough, but i wanna place the gear right so we don´t need any headphones.

On the other side/hand, we have a lot of gear for a band.

Mics:
2x sm57, sm58, akg d5, sennheiser 906, 2x rode nt5, rode nt1, 2x other condenser, 2x sure drum mics, sure kick mic, another small condenser (for hithat maybe).

Mixers and co:
Allen and heath small mixer, behringer small mixer (both usb), Focusrite clarett 8preX + behringer ultragain (adat), headphone amp with 4 outs, digitech reverb unit, 2x dbx 166xl comps, tons of cabels and mutlicore. and of course yamaha hs7

A very very strong Mac with some very good plugins (soundtoys eq and so on) which combined with the focusrite clarett is a wonderful, almost 0 latency orgasm.

Now to the room(s):

from my point of view the room sounds ok/good. on the ceiling and walls is some absorption going on, the floor is wooden and the walls are diffuse enough and spread the waves in an ok way. theres just one place where i would place the drums because you get kind of a slap back from the wall (its marked on the pictures).

we also have some chambers where we can put amps or run vocals through and amp (done it with a peavy practice amp and sounds great)

the blue marked room is the mixing room. we know how to deal with it and how to place the speakers and stuff. everything can be routed into this room

Instruments:

Bass Amp - Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - VOX Ac15 (also singer) - Gretsch Drums with 24" kick/ Smaller cheap sonor drums (503 series)/ some vintage drums called amati (guess from the 70s and 22" kick) - Vocals - Synths - Stage Piano

So if you reached this point, you now know about our gear and maybe also our problem(s).

I´d be so thankful if you good give me a finished setting of how to place the amps, drums, mics and speakers so we can play without putting the headphones on and have a very good and balanced sound for writing music.

if you have any questions of course i will give you answers!

greetings and thank you very much,
driven adam

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.13.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.13.08 PM.png
    34 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.13.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.13.24 PM.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.14.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 4.14.08 PM.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 8