Suggestions for Monitors and Treatment

andrushkiwt

Before anyone calls me out, I'll warn ya that I posted this clip in MP3 mixing yesterday. After some suggestions to move into the realm of monitors and treatment rooms, I'd like to post this clip here as well and see what the guys who frequent this section think. This clip was done with Senn's HD 280 headphones, though I did check with a car system and two other sets of headphones. I'll probably say what most others who use headphones say...that it sounds awesome when using them. But the guys in the MP3 section easily called out the things I was battling while mixing with my phones (panning, guitar tone, low end balance, and cymbals). So, Studio Building guys, what do you think??? After listening to this clip, does it sound like the first step toward a better mix is getting decent monitors? I have only been mixing for about 6 months or so, so I'm sure some of you will accurately point out that my overall skills and experience need to improve as well...but I'm trying to gauge what the top 2 or 3 problems are here. Then, I can take the correct steps toward making these tracks sound phenomenal. Like a lot of others here, I'm trying hard to get some of these tracks into TV, movies, games, etc... but I am finding it difficult to get the tone and sound I want. Especially the guitars. Anyways, please take a quick listen and please share anything you can that might be helpful to me. thanks a lot!

https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt/waiting

You won't get the sound to the next level without really good quality neutral studio monitors in my opinion. I would never mix with my HD280 headphones, they are just for tracking and isolate the sound very well. I think headphones can only take you so far, and monitors will give you what you need the most, you will find that mixing kick and bass guitar is far easier on them because you are hearing the attack and it's easier to tell when something is too loud or too quiet.

You won't get the sound to the next level without really good quality neutral studio monitors in my opinion. I would never mix with my HD280 headphones, they are just for tracking and isolate the sound very well. I think headphones can only take you so far, and monitors will give you what you need the most, you will find that mixing kick and bass guitar is far easier on them because you are hearing the attack and it's easier to tell when something is too loud or too quiet.

I appreciate the reply, thanks a lot. I know monitors are better than phones for mixing, but I guess what I'm looking for is someone to hear my mix and to land on the best solution as "get monitors", as opposed to "buy a new guitar" or "learn to eq better". I know that's asking a lot, but most of us are on a budget here, and if I can narrow it down (in terms of my specific mixes) then that would be fastest way for me to get moving on these. In theory, someone could be a pro at mixing with a particular set of headphones, so maybe the advice to them would be to keep the phones, but work on this or that more. I hope that made sense. So, again, if MY mixes are lacking as a direct result of what I'm listening to them on, then I'll be more convinced to get some decent monitors and treatments. (went to Guitar Center this weekend and went back and forth with 3 sets for about 30 mins, JBL's, MAudio, and Rockit's in the $200-300 range). So, I can definitely hear how the monitors will help, but do you guys think it is the FIRST/NEXT step for me to take?

i know I'm a pain..haha, sorry guys.

If you can't HEAR the recorded music correctly, how can you judge if the actual sound is any good?

Based on the bounced track when listened to on other things...car, other phones, etc... After 4 or 5 times going back into the session to remix it, I grow impatient and just use what I have. Then when I put it up for review, ppl point out the exact things I was battling those 4 or 5 times. Mud, low end clarity etc... So perhaps the monitors would save me time then. And I'd get to finish it instead of settling. I'm just asking if anyone else would pinpoint the lack of monitors as the biggest factor that's holding the music back.

I mix with headphones a lot of the time, and then use monitors to the final adjusting and the low-end adjusting
From what I hear in your song it's more of experience problem, (I think it's better than I did 6 months in mixing)
problem and not headphones vs monitors problem

Also treating your room is more important than monitors

BTW, I use my M-audio BX5 that cost me $30 a lot more than my high end monitors...

I mix with headphones a lot of the time, and then use monitors to the final adjusting and the low-end adjusting
From what I hear in your song it's more of experience problem, (I think it's better than I did 6 months in mixing)
problem and not headphones vs monitors problem

Also treating your room is more important than monitors

BTW, I use my M-audio BX5 that cost me $30 a lot more than my high end monitors...

I'm glad to hear another perspective, thank you for that. What to do ...what to do. I'll have to think about it for a bit! I'm awesome at being indecisive! Thanks everyone.

Back