Styrofoam walls and ceiling

As for this, I appreciate your input, but I'm not going down the rabbit hole of these heated discussion the two of you have. Covering the whole thing with plastic isn't actually a bad idea. I have ordered some really heavy, thick fabric for the ceiling (the stuff they make theater curtains out of), but I'll consider the probability of fibers getting through.Thanks all!

I was being sincere when I recommended asking Jimmy. There is a certain thickness of plastic to use, I think, and I just figured he would know. You can also get the "Faced Pink Insulation" that is already wrapped. I am thinking about using 2 x R30 faced insulation for some bass trap experiments. It is not expensive at all.

Thanks for the suggestion! That sounds like it's awesome stuff to work with. However, I did some research, and this stuff is really uncommon for my region (western Europe). This makes it really expensive.

I'll give you a tip, go around to the whole sellers where the shops get it from not the shops themselves. This kind of produce is used in hospitals and public spaces where fibres are not permitted, the shops don't stock it as it's a bit more expensive and the public just go for cheap. You save money with this stuff as it's easier to install. One word of warning is if you get the dense stuff, which I recommend, it's very hard to cut so get the supplier to cut it to size for you. The specs for the dense stuff is way better than rockwool so it does not have to be as thick.

Alan.

" As for hiding the electricals, I have a plan for that. There's a 6 cm gap of styrofoam between the floor and the walls (the styrofoam runs under the floor). I will cut a channel in there and put the wires in there"

Check that that is ok with local 'code' and put some hazard warning above the cabling. I would run it in PVC conduit...Neato!

Dave.

Congratulations! You have conquered the first major hurtle of any new band... finding a place to practice. But you probably already know that.

Back