Studio for a youth club

Smoulders

Hi there everyone.

Although I am not exactly a newbie on the forum, I certainly have not been an active poster or even lurker of late as I found I was using forums to avoid doing any work and generally wasting a lot of time!

However now I have reached a situation where I could do with some advice obviously Homerecording was the first place I turned.

Basically, I am putting together a smallish studio for a youth club. I have run very low budget courses with the young people from the estate before, but now some funding has come in so its time to beef things up a bit. To give you an idea, nearly everyone on the estate is a budding MC, so in a way you could argue a few channels and simple Cubase/Logic setup will do as it is basically Grime and hip hop that people want to make. However I am determined to have a futureproofed setup, with 16/24 channels and to purchase bass+guitar amps, a drum kit etc so that young people can start learning instruments (pretty much no one does on this estate), learn about multi track and live recording etc.,

The budget I have to play with is £30,000 so obviously there are so many options I can take.

The youth club is one massive room, with a small office as a seperate room within (the office won't be shared with other staff members so it can be used soley as a control room). As the adjoining hall is huge and houses pool tables etc, I have decided to purchase a decent sized isolaton booth to build within that room (rather than getting builders in etc). I have seen one in another youth club that would be ideal, big enough for a band set up and of course for vocalists (mostly what will be being recorded).

I will treat the control room accordingly and the prefab live room should already sound good enough.

Basically here is where I need some advice.

I have decided against a Pro-tools system as in terms of young people getting creative and sparking an interest I have found Logic is the way forward.

A Mac provwill be the main workstation.

Could anyone advise on a mixer/sound card combi? I am finding it hard to just commit to something so any feedback would be greatly appreciated! The idea of an all in one firewire mixer/interface option is tempting for some reason, ease of use, Direct outs with less cables etc. I have looked at this Allen and heath option:

http://www.dv247.com/mixers/allen-a...ecording-mixer-with-firewire-soundcard--52824

Perhaps it would be better to get for something like a Mackie desk with focusrite sound card for example?

Could anyone advise on a particularly good combi for the main hub? Although I have quite a bit to play with I would prefer to keep the desk within about £3000 if poss as I am also kitting out two smaller workstations with software etc, buying the iso booth, amps, instruments etc.

I’ve got a few things in mind for outboard and some other hands on bits that usually go down well, e.g. MPC, a couple of synths etc.

The main thing is just getting the right mixer/soundcard combi or just all in one mixer. I am a bit over whelmed by the choice.

Well, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. I am pretty excited about this project and am hoping to get it right first time without to many issues. These young people really don’t know how lucky they are!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Smoulders

Hi Gecko Zzed.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, thats actually the link I put in my first post. It certainly does seem like the main contendor.

Just wondered if there were any other suggestions.

Thanks again

Back