Studio treatment mainly done! Thanks to Broken_H and a loaaddd of hardwork!

Ninjaza

Hey guys,
So I thought id post my studio after all the DIY treatment I did.
10838168_10152601921097924_3113608477858097424_o.jpg10257385_10152601911227924_6695755795090154843_o.jpg

Now I need to finish it, My plan is to make panels for my stereo image (behind my monitor), then the ceiling cloud, and the 2 that are already behind my monitor I'll mount on the back wall under the light.

Id love to just know, for stereo image and ceiling cloud, what are the measurements normally?
What's the aim and how do I measure the correct size for them both? Also, the thickness etc.

I've used this stuff for everything.

Isover Glasswool Aerolite

I read online its even more effective than rockwool, if double over (to meet the density). So that what I did for the reflection bass traps. Doubled it up.

Look forward to hearing from ya :) Thank you for all the help this far, legends.

Looking good, man. Glad to be of service!
You might consider a ceiling cloud while your at it (the ceiling has primary reflection points, too!) :)

Thanks mate :)

Yes that's what Im doing next!

Id love to just know, for stereo image and ceiling cloud, what are the measurements normally? How do I find these reflections?

What's the aim and how do I measure the correct size for them both? Also, the thickness etc.

I would say, for a small room, exact measurement is not necessary (some will argue this point, but read on). Just be sure your ceiling cloud covers the point that is half way between your speakers and your ears. If you'd like, mirror that position behind you as well. I did.

IOW: My setup has the mid-field monitors 9" from the wall, the near field monitors are 3'3" from the wall. Both sets of speakers are set at an equilateral triangle to my head, but then focused just behind my ears (barely, try this, it gives you a better stereo field). Near-fields are 4' apart and mid-fields are 8 1/2 feet apart. Now, for the ceiling cloud. 5' (listening position) - 9" (distance from wall) is 4'3" divide by two yields 2'1 1/2" (1/2 the distance between my ears and the mids): 5' (listening position)-3'3" (distance from wall) is 1'9" divide by two yields 10 1/2" (1/2 the distance between my ears and the nears). So my ceiling cloud must at least cover the space between 10 1/2" from my listening position (4'1 1/2" from the wall) and 1'9" from my listening position (3'3" from the wall). Since my trap is 2', I just centered it on half the distance between (around 3'8" from the wall).
Single set of speakers makes this cake. Just 1/2 the distance from your ears to the speakers (again, depth, not linear distance) and add that to the distance of the speakers from the wall. :)

PS. I have the same speaker stands, but my 220W each M3-8s needed Mopads between (one instance where foam actually helps) :)

Oh, forgot a point or two. You want to leave air gap at the ceiling (4" is plenty of thick (mine are only 2), but leave a 2-3" gap above the cloud.)

nice man ! Thanks. Some of it sounds very confusing hehe. How big should the cloud be? And when you mean covers the point half way between speakers and ears, would I be right in saying I can make a ceiling cloud to cover the ceiling between me and the speakers both inbetween and on the sides?

Yes, exactly. You're trying to cover most of the area (if not all) between your speakers and your ears. Mine are 2" x2'x4'. 2' covering the area between me and the speakers. 4' covering the width (the rear speakers are 8 1/2' apart.) About a 3" air gap between the cloud and the ceiling. Use screw eyes into the ceiling and into the frame and then just run zip ties between and pull them until you have the right gap. It's pretty easy.

Ceiling clouds like mine below? Sorry I have not got a better angle, The front one is angled mainly for looks LOL, I have 3 and they run to the back of the room, hung with an air gap to allow sound to be absorbed top and bottom. They look thin but the material is high density and very sound absorbent.

IMG_7879small.jpeg

Yes, exactly. You're trying to cover most of the area (if not all) between your speakers and your ears. Mine are 2" x2'x4'. 2' covering the area between me and the speakers. 4' covering the width (the rear speakers are 8 1/2' apart.) About a 3" air gap between the cloud and the ceiling. Use screw eyes into the ceiling and into the frame and then just run zip ties between and pull them until you have the right gap. It's pretty easy.

Thanks again mate, really I appreciate all your help.

Ok got it. so 2-3inch air gap, but how thick should the aerolite be inside the panel of the ceiling cloud?
And of the stereo image (behind monitors & screen)

For my side reflection points I doubled the aerolite thickness up (layered it twice) to be 12cm thick. This is good yes?

For the traps I cut triangular chunks.

---------- Update ----------

Ceiling clouds like mine below? Sorry I have not got a better angle, The front one is angled mainly for looks LOL, I have 3 and they run to the back of the room, hung with an air gap to allow sound to be absorbed top and bottom. They look thin but the material is high density and very sound absorbent.

View attachment 92421

Dammmmmm son

View attachment 92421

Suh-weet! The monitors, do tell? Nears are Adam/Yamaha? Mids are Tannoy? Too distant to really tell. Witz End must be a magical place! Okay, those are not Tannoy...

Actually, on the ceiling, I only ran 2". You can run 12cm, but 6 would probably do well (the air gap makes them pull double duty). As far as stereo, just go wider than you think is necessary. More is not always best, but we're not talking about a $2M dedicated studio. As I always say, "This is home recording!" Oooooh, look, somebody quoted me...oh wait, if I do it it doesn't count, eh?
Anyway, this is one instance where overkill will probably serve you well. Just look at the picture and say, "Wow, he covered most of the ceiling, and that's in a pro studio environment." You'll get the picture.

Suh-weet! The monitors, do tell? Nears are Adam/Yamaha? Mids are Tannoy? Too distant to really tell. Witz End must be a magical place! Okay, those are not Tannoy...
The monitors are mission pro, made by the mission speaker company before production moved to China and the pro stuff was discontinued. Mission Pro SM6P

I had a pair of mission speakers in the studio for years as my second monitors before mission released the pro series studio monitors, could not wait to get some.

Alan

Back