Studio Taking Shape - Pics

DigitalDon

With the sheetrock going up I'm finally able to see how the studio will really look. Damn I'm glad all the resilient channel is finally up. Between the channel and sheetrock I've already gone through a box of 1,000 screws! It's really been a pain screwing into the channel because it flexes (like it's supposed to) when mounting the sheetrock. Anyhow, here's a pic and some more following it. I don't know how to attach more than one pic so I'll show them in succession. Pics are of the live room. Through the left window is the vocal booth. Through the right window is the control room. We hope to be taping and mudding this weekend.

DD

Terry, the Hummingbird rocks, but you need a Les Paul. You also need to expand your mics and pres. You are in serious need of Neumann and B.L.U.E mics. One other thing- don't display your mic cabinet on top of a Shure Vocal Master PA head. You really don't want to admit you own it. Can you say HUM? I knew you could. Don't get me wrong, I'm not busting your balls, you've obviously done a lot of great work, but I see so many commercial studios that have good recorders and mixers, and advanced processing capabilities, but when it comes down to it, the signal is coming from cheap mics and cheap preamps. If the signal starts at an Audix, it's only going to get so good. I know it takes time to make the necessary investment. I'm only pointing out the things I don't see, namely- high end mics and high end pres.-Richie

Awesome project! Is this home or commercial? Either way I would love to know more about your project since I am planning on building a studio from scratch (new construction from ground up). Thanks - NorCal Kid

I think we ALL hear you on the z channel thing. Did you pre-drill the holes for the screws? We found that if we didn't do that we had a ton of screws go straight through the drywall because it would suddenly poke through the z and the drill would be going full speed... yada yada... So we pre-drilled every single hole, for two layers of drywall.

It's looking really good.

Here's a list of things I'm glad I'm done with:
1) Horizontal stringers between studs
2) Putting up two layers of OSB and caulking every seam
3) putting up two layers of drywall onto the z channel

I think that covers just about all the worst jobs.

Last edited:
DigiDon!
It is great, and encouraging to see your studio going up.It looks pretty good sized.
My own studio is still in the framing stage, but at least it finally looks like a building.
It takes so much time and money to get to the point where it actually looks like something, you begin to wonder...

Again, it looks really good!

Tom

Another one dredged from the archives!! The original thread was 3 years ago and Don has his studio up and running. Do a search on his name and you should find it somewhere about a year and a half ago I think.

Darryl.....

I didn't even notice that when I replied. I'm not the one who dug this one up.

This is why some forums don't give you the ability to reply to a forum that's really old.

Back