Studio suggestions?

JohnnyAmato

Hey all.

My set-up is in my sub-basement, a few months ago I ordered and threw up some moving blankets, and they definitely made a difference. The room echo wasn't terrible, but the blankets were a major improvement. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions for more improvements? There's blankets to act as traps in all corners, the wall to the left of the mixing desk (guitar amps pic) has two mattress pads on the wall, behind the desk however is just two sheets (getting blankets for that soon most likely, speakers maybe two feet from the wall) There's also two blankets parallel to the desk maybe 15 feet away (behind the white chairs) Floor is mostly carpeted.

It seems to be working well, as the speakers sound much cleaner since I did all this, vocal tracking seems to be working pretty nice as well. Again, just looking to see if anybody has any input on anything else I could maybe do.

Being in there, it's fun to squeeze vocal tracking in between the sump pumps going off every few minutes when it's raining, or having to turn off the heater in winter. Might call the place Arctic Studios :thumbs up:

*Edit* Trying like mad to upload a few pics, and it simply won't let me. Upload fails every time. There small .jpg's, and I've posted pics here a million times, so something must be up :facepalm:

Blankets will absorb some highs, but leave the lows (and mid-lows) unaffected, so you need to make some proper bass traps (rockwool 4" thick panels, or 'superchunks in corners).

Still trying to upload a few pics and it still wont let me. Not sure why, they're just regular, 'ol jpg's, about 3.5MB each... Uploaded dozens before, not sure what's going on this time.

Effective Sound proofing curtains

To keep out external noises you can use soundproofing or acoustic curtains. There is many more products in the market but I strongly recommend products from: acoustic curtains
I'm satisfies with it.

Build some bass traps for the corners, like [MENTION=39487]mjbphotos[/MENTION] said. I used double thickness Roxul Safe'n'Sound with an air gap in 1x8 frames, 16"x48" (because the Roxul is designed for wall soundproofing with 16" studs). There is 24" wide material, but I couldn't source it locally, or couldn't find it, at least.

I stacked the frames to fit the 8' high ceiling because an 8' high box would have been a bear to maneuver around, and not really sure I could have stood it up in the room, once built.

Same idea but with a single depth Roxul batt in 1"x4" frame material for wall panels, with those set out a bit from the wall using L-brackets. This lets some sound get behind them, so they're a bit more effective, i.e., they provide more surface area to absorb sound.

attachment.php

Back