studio pics

chugheshc

Built with lots of advice from a few folks on here.
<Thanks to all who helped>
18 months planning, probably 6 months building (did the whole basement in a year).
It's tiny, crowded, and mine, all mine.
11' X 11.5' X 7'-1"
something like 92 sq feet of absorption (OC703 equivalent 3" - 4" thick.
16 channels of input, Motu 2408 X 2, all in-the-box.
Only new equipment purchased were headphones, headphone amp, couple of mic cables, and the parts to build the computer. This is a pretty lean budgeted affair.
Double walls, two leaf, double doors, pretty decent isolation (have not measured it) wife says she only hears drums, and inside you rarely hear anything from the outside environment
Cheers,
C.:)
http://picasaweb.google.com/chughes2002/Studio/photo?authkey=ZR4kfXHkVDg#s5166994524282471266

sharp air conditioner, not beer fridge.
not too much room for non-music related item.
beer unfortunately, lives upstairs.:(

that is unfortunate. my beer stays in my hand, or close to it.

Cool set up man. how do you get behind the drums?

ha, yea. i know how that is. occassionally i have to jump over a floor tom to get behind my kit! :p

sharp air conditioner, not beer fridge.

Is your AC vented outside your room? That looks pretty slim and compact... does it work very well? I thought that those type of units have a hose that needs to be vented out of the room & I've heard that the stand alone units actually produce some heat, a bit counter productive. Maybe some of the newer Units are better? Is your very quiet?

I have a window unit that I'm planning on putting outside and running a 8' long tube into my studio... I think it will be ok while jamming or rehearsing but I'm skeptical about the noise traveling through the tube while recording.

B.

it is ported out the window - that particular model is called "library quiet" supposedly 39db (I have not measured). I can't really notice it when I am recording.
works very well, 9000 btu is probably more than necessary, but I wanted to err on the side of caution.
this particular unit also vents the condensate out the vent hose as well.
C>

Last edited:
it may vent the condensate outside but it doesn't do an air exchange which is important for folks who need oxygen ;-) aeropac makes a simple and silent air exchanger product which just needs a single hole through the wall to work.

http://www.acoustica.com.au/aeropac.html

i think you can get them in EU and possible in US via Canada.

Thanks for the compliments - the overheads are the ones in the audix drum mic kit.
As for air exchange - there is a 3" dia hole next to the vent hose allowing fresh air to replenish the room. There is a fair bit of absorption material surrounding the hole, so not a crazy amount of sound getting out - it has to go through the AC unit first.
About heat production, yes, there is some heat generated from the unit itself - you can fell the warmth on the rear shell of the thing and the output hose itself, but it does not seem to have any problem maintaining 72 degrees in the room.
I would really like to "go green" but I can't figure out an economical way to maintain temperatures that does not involve huge infrastructure or upfront costs - needless to say this is an energy intensive hobby - one day new gear may do away with some of the cooling requirements.
I have not had any complaints from the neighbor yet, but I don't play drums late at night very often either.
Cheers
C.

Back