Studio insurance, etc....

Mip

I want to try to make money from my studio, from recording other bands, so does anybody know if I need some different sort of insurance, for if somebody breaks some equipment, or damages something else in the studio?
Also, is it a good idea to get them to sign some sort of disclaimer, so I don't get taken to court for somebody catching a cold (or some other stupid excuse) in my studio?

Thanks

Well, the barn that we practice in is covered by a $5,000 extension of the house's insurance. We've been discussing the same thing, as the value of the equipment in there now far exceeds that (everybody keeps their stuff there). Does this help?

We have practice tonight, I'll ask Danny how he went about it.

more than a disclaimer

I'd put a lot of time and effort into coming up with a solid contract that will cover everything applicable to anyone who steps foot into the place. Then, with each new client, you can go in and write up details of the work, etc...

-Adam

Great subject guys!

Guys, great subject! Keep this one going.

I would like to see various disclaimers from everyone who has put any amount of time into his. Let's see if we can all come up with a standard form to use.

I had the idea, also, of covering my butt if a band ditches their studio efforts, and I'm left with half done recordings of some band. I had the idea of a security deposite, so they pay me half of the recording cost up front. That way if they back out half way through I'm not left empty handed, I keep the money. If they finish recording then they only have half the money to pay me in the end and everyone is happy. Let's face is, most bands (local bands) are ALWAYS on the brink of breaking up. And being in the studio makes the members who aren't sure of the band get auntsy, and most bands break up while in the studio. It happened to my brother's band. They were together for 3 years and then went into the studio, they broke up after finishing 2 songs! I don't want to be that studio that devoted all that time to nothing.

Later,
-Brian

Back