studio equipement

ScruffMcduff

so I may be coming across 20 to 30 thousand dollars from a lawsuit from being hit by a drunk driver and I want to start up a professional business studio doing music, voice overs, jingles, and I would to also do field recording because I live in Utah and we have sundance here and that could have a lot of business here. I see ads on craigslist all the time for that. the question is what equipment should I get??

Do you not have medical bills that need first priority?

Take a bunch of time researching what you may need to do the recording studio you aspire to do. There is a whole lot more than just getting mics/interface. I could not even start to give points as to what you would need, without writing a book. There are many stickys at the top of the forums here, that will give a general direction. There are also many other resources for info on what you are looking into doing.

I have to say, without disrespect, that if you do no already know what it is you need to do this, then you do not already know what it takes to do what it is you propose. You will likely find that 20-30 grand, will barely get you the gear you need to even start to be near relevant in the advertising industry. This does not include the space, the treatment of the space, nor the engineer to run the gear you propose that will make you money. Don't get me wrong, I like your motivation, but I'm not sure that an inexperienced dood is going to make a living in your market.

Yeah good luck with 20-30k. You can have fun but as far as being "professional" I doubt it would get you everything you need, let alone the talent and practice needed to record and mix properly and well enough to get clients in the door and develop a reputation. I this day and age recording studios are less and less and the ones that are around are multi million dollar contribution design and gear deals. Like I said if you just want to have some fun then yes you will but it won't turn the profit you're expecting if you're asking for advice here.

also some good sound isolation is needed - Auralex, bass traps

Both Auralex and bass traps do nothing to isolate sound. The difference they make in transmission is negligible, no matter the amount of them in your room.

Also, foam is good for trapping high frequencies, but chances are if you have enough broadband traps in the room, you won't need any foam.

The real answer to OP's question is another question: How much experience do you already have and what are you best at? If you are starting a business, you should start with what you're great at and expand from there...so I would recommend getting the signature equipment of what you need and from there, after building your client base, you can expand your equipment to match the needs of the business. This is much better than just getting a bunch of stuff you might not use, and wasting your money.

Back