Studio build design on 29 ft barge!

snitchdnb

Hello everyone, im new to this forum so any help is highley appreciated

i am converting a 29 ft steel barge into a (home) studio for drum and bass music, i havent decided on where the place ment of everything will go yet, the barge is just open plan at the moment with 1 wall for a small bathroom for when i stay on it, i have read the FAQ's in this forum and they helped greatly, i just need some expertise's personal opinions.
where i plan to build a wall will give me 10ft in length and 8ft in width, the celling is just over 6ft which is bad, will proberly cause problems as its bowed aswell. overall the length will be 14ft but around 4ft of that is a half piece of steel, though the room shape will be kind of a Triangle which i dont know if thats really really really really bad or just bad ha i can make another wall if this will cause huge problems but maybe if i build a huge bass trap? could this be possible?.
the pictures below you will understand me more.
the boat was a real bargin thats why i went for it so hopefully! i can do something decent with it.
the pictures below are recent of just guttin it out.
the walls are made from ply wood held by timber battons screwed into the steel the exsiting celotex 100mm insulation was already put in before i bought it. im not too fused about 'soundproofing' it because its not near neighbours so loudness will not be a issue.
Im planning to build 3 bass traps from floor to celling with Rockwool RW3 100mm and some broad band absorbers too in various places also some floor corner bass traps to help if this will help.. help me to find what else i would need majorly please :)

the pictures below hopefully will help you understand my layout. any help would be great!

pictures

01102009311.jpg

01102009314.jpg

01102009316.jpg

01102009317.jpg

This is a very innovative studio project. Although short and small, you should be able to make the space work for you. I do have one question: Is your barge on dry land?

Rich Smith

Thanks Rich, The boat is not in dry dock it is a mooring, a few boats up from mine. could u give any advice about the nose of the boat (the point/corner) or placement thanks.

The Corner

haha. david gilmours boat is alot bigger :).

Im just curious about placing the speaker backs into the big corner. this will need a huge corner trap right?

how could if i fill it out to be effective enough because its a half piece so i can then plasterboard the wall straight down and corner both them 2 corners or should i just fill the huge corner with rockwool RW3/60kg. this is my next plan of attack so please fire away

I hate to be the wet blanket here, but that room is going to be a BIG problem. First, it's really, REALLY small. Second, the ceiling is just over 6'? That's bad. Third, the ceiling is curved? That would be bad even if it were 10' high.

It's going to be nearly impossible to make a room that size and shape work well. Is there another place on the barge you could use?

Frank

I hate to be the wet blanket here, but that room is going to be a BIG problem. First, it's really, REALLY small. Second, the ceiling is just over 6'? That's bad. Third, the ceiling is curved? That would be bad even if it were 10' high.

It's going to be nearly impossible to make a room that size and shape work well. Is there another place on the barge you could use?

Frank

Thanks Frank, strong crisitism. there is no other place on the barge i can build it unless i extend the wall to the bathroom which will it make the room 17ft in length n still 8ft in width. the roof is a real bummer i know. but for 1,500 pound it was a bargain. i plan to at a later date extend the roof up once i get a super price from a friend who is a welder.

im really stuck here with what to do. i really want to get the best out of it but im far far from a pro on this stuff, so any idea's would be fantastic.

You can work with the rest, but the ceiling...that's a big issue because you can't really treat it. It's just too low. it's going to be 2' above your head when you're sitting at the console.

If it's the only space you have then you'll have to make it work. Put 4" panels up on the ceiling and slouch over when you walk around the room. That's the only thing I can think of.

Frank

You can work with the rest, but the ceiling...that's a big issue because you can't really treat it. It's just too low. it's going to be 2' above your head when you're sitting at the console.

If it's the only space you have then you'll have to make it work. Put 4" panels up on the ceiling and slouch over when you walk around the room. That's the only thing I can think of.

Frank

Okay frank, leaving the celling for now. what else can i do apart from trapping everywhere the help the acoustics of the room? what about the big corner?

Do you mean at the bow of the ship? Trap it...6" trap, maybe 8". If you can do 8", then just make sure to leave at least 8" of space behind that the panel...doesn't look like that'll be a problem. If you're planning on building out the space into a rectangle, then you'll want to trap all four corners from floor to ceiling, get the back wall with thick (6 or 8") bass trapping, and get the reflection points and ceiling with 4" broad band panels.

Frank

thanks a bunch frank!, there is a sky light that will be in the room, i was plannin on building a 4'' broadband absorber to slide over it and slide back when i want to open it, will this be ok?

Sure, why not? I think that'll work just fine.

Frank

Great, Thanks Frank just one short question. you said 8'' i can do that spacer then an bass trap/absorber, i can do 16'' gap 16'' bass trap but is that over doing it? do you think 8'' will be well enough?

thanks.

Back