Studio Acoustic aka Cube of Doom

Joemexistrat

Decided to convert my work space into really bad acoustic practice / recording space. Room is 10.5' x 10' x 8', yeah I know. It's the best spot for me.

Guitar/Bass and keyboard at some point.

Live in a inline 4 plex. Main goal is isolation as only one wall will need full covering of Rockwool to keep sound in and neighbor noise out. The walls between spaces are definitely insulated as I only get muffled voices short of them yelling at each other. Hopefully I have enough posts to link my floor design later.

I've uploaded a floor plan of more or less what I have. Not the best but you can get the idea. If you're looking at Studio3, that wall borders my neighbor to the west. That's the only wall I feel needs floor to ceiling isolation as it only faces their kitchen area. I don't need to hear them or them hear me playing at fairly normal levels. I'm thinking of creating a 5" deep wall of Rockwool 2 x 2" sections with a 1" gap in between each section of insulation. What do you think? The wall with the window faces a backyard area, the wall in front of my desk faces my bathroom then kitchen and the wall on the right with the doors faces my bedroom and closet in studio room. I added 2 floor to ceiling traps in from of the isolation wall (their dimensions will be decided as I go along and they look like ass on the plan as I couldn't get a full triangle so just assume they're correct).

The wall with the window and closet door I think are a bit of a quandary as they're not fully across from each other so adding non reflection surfaces might be tricky. My desk will pretty much need to be close to the wall so I was thinking behind the monitors adding a trap of sort assuming they're ported. As well as possibly a cloud above as the room doesn't have a fan only a light fixture (size cloud not to sure about.

Attachments

• Studio1.jpg
    Studio1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Studio2.jpg
    Studio2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Studio3.jpg
    Studio3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Studio4.jpg
    Studio4.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Bass (unless you DI and use headphones) will carry right through the floor/walls into the neighbor's unit. Isolation is only accomplished with mass, and for anything nearing soundproofing, you need to build a 'room within a room' and you don't have the space for it.
If you can hear the neighbors' muffled voices when talking, that means they will hear your (muffled) playing. You could construct a 2x4 wall, space it a few inches away from the existing shared wall, fill the 2x4 spaces with rockwool, then a double layer of sheetrock on the room side - make sure your floor can support the weight. Use rubber absorption pads under and over the wall (where it would touch the floor and ceiling). The wall will cut down on the transmission of the mid and high frequencies at the expense of 7-8" of the room's space.

Bass (unless you DI and use headphones) will carry right through the floor/walls into the neighbor's unit. Isolation is only accomplished with mass, and for anything nearing soundproofing, you need to build a 'room within a room' and you don't have the space for it.
If you can hear the neighbors' muffled voices when talking, that means they will hear your (muffled) playing. You could construct a 2x4 wall, space it a few inches away from the existing shared wall, fill the 2x4 spaces with rockwool, then a double layer of sheetrock on the room side - make sure your floor can support the weight. Use rubber absorption pads under and over the wall (where it would touch the floor and ceiling). The wall will cut down on the transmission of the mid and high frequencies at the expense of 7-8" of the room's space.

I added the floor plan so you can get an idea. On the bass definitely going DI ;)

Back