stereo image

chippyd

Just been to have a closer look at the possible room space I have in mind for a studio
but now my symmetrical plan for the control room no longer fits in if I want to have a live room.

So now I have some questions,
how much is the stereo image affected by a rooms design?
I think I have read that the room needs to be symmetrical.
Would it make much difference to the image if I was only using near or mid field monitor in a no-symmetrical room?

here's the new plan I have, http://www.chippyd.com/dw/new/2.WMF
as you can see I don't have a lot of space and its a little bit bigger on the right hand side.

Looking at this set-up what would my problems be?

Thank ChippyD.

Last edited:
would it make things any better moving my monitors to the left hand side if the room?

Attachments

• image15.gif
    image15.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 117
The second drawing comes a lot closer to symmetry, but when mixing I would leave the inner door open at the same angle as the opposite wall. symmetry of mix position is MANDATORY if you want a balanced mix. Also, keep your woofers AWAY from the center of the vertical dimension of the room, by at least 8" or you'll wonder where the mid/lower bass went... Steve

Personally, I like in-floor subs. If your room's floor is mounted on joists or rafters, you can slap the sub box into the floor, face up, and put a strong steel grill on it. Takes no space and sounds good.

I did that in my living room - except instead of a speaker grill I used a brass heating register cover. Looks really nice and gives nice presence for bass notes.

knightfly said:
The second drawing comes a lot closer to symmetry, but when mixing I would leave the inner door open at the same angle as the opposite wall. symmetry of mix position is MANDATORY if you want a balanced mix. Also, keep your woofers AWAY from the center of the vertical dimension of the room, by at least 8" or you'll wonder where the mid/lower bass went... Steve

2 new pics and more questions....

I will get this right one day( I hope)..

The first pic shows that the control room is build with no corners in the room.

If building a room this way, will the outer room act as a bass trap or would the 2nd pic be better?

On the second pic the right hand side at the back of the control room is not symmetrical would this be a problem, even though the front of the room is ok?

Attachments

• pic1.gif
    pic1.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 65
Thanks all for your suggestions on the room designs.

I had to redesign it from the first post as I am limited to what I can do with the outer room.
I cannot move the entrance doors so they opens outwards (John Sayers pic) so this is taking up a lot of space.
I have to make the right hand door so it will not open and only the left door will then open inwards into the hallway of my studio.

Any suggestions on pic1.gif and pic 2.gif above would be good as I want to pass this on to a builder to get a quotation.

ChippyD

The out of symmetry is not a problem at the rear of the room - mind you - do you really need two doors?? you are already one door away from the outside, surely one to the control room would be enough :)

cheers
John

Back