Specifications on commercial acoustic material

flutte

Finding technical specifications on commercial material turned out to be hard. Not all manufacturers provide specifications, and for those who do, it is not always comparable to other manufactures. I’ve tried to compile specifications from the most common manufacturers.

Rockwool Acoustic Slab and Rockwool Flexi
Rockwool specifies that 50mm Rockwool Flexi heat insulation slab has roughly the same absorbtion as 25mm Rockwool Acoustic Slab. They also manufacture a whole range of acoustic tiles in different shapes and forms, with NRC 0,5 at 125Hz.

Universal Acoustics Mercury Tiles
Universal Acoustics foam tiles claims relatively average frequency absorbtion with NRC 0,85 and density of 30kg/m3.

Vicoustics MD55 Light and Cinema Round tiles
Vicoustics foam tiles aren’t as good as other manufacturers, but they are a little more stylish. The 0,5 NRC Cinema Round tiles have a flat absorbtion above 500Hz, which is as expected. Interestingly, the MD55 Light tiles have a non-flat absorbtion. The absorbtion increases linearly with frequency. The NRC is 0,6 and density 30kg/m3.

Auralex Acoustics
Auralex Acoustics makes a few foam panels of different thickness and colours. The 33kg/m3 100mm tiles has an NRC of 1,1 and a flat frequence absorbtion above 300Hz.

Hofa Absorber Tile
Hofa Akustik makes some quite stylish absorbers and basstraps in a variety of colours. At 200Hz, the Basotect material used is claimed by BASF to absorb rougly 50% at 200Hz, and 100% at 500Hz. I’ve found material claiming both better and worse performance.

EQ Acoustic Wedge Tile
Well-renowned EQ Acoustics manufactures some wedge absorbtion tiles with NRC 0,85, which makes them fairly average in performance. A few different colours are available as well. They also provide some larger, flat, tiles made out of quite dense 63kg/m3 fibreglass wool. The 50mm thick Spectrum 50L tiles are claimed to absorb 90% at 250Hz, which is quite good.

Adam Hall Acoustic Foam Absorber
Adam Hall is a well-renowned manufacturer providing a medium density foam absorber at 23kg/m3.

Thomann t.akustik CBT-37 basstrap
The Thomann t.akustik CBT-37 foam basstrap has no specification at all, but using a bathroom scale I estimate their density to roughly 20kg/m3. This makes them the lightest and cheapest traps I’ve found.

Thomann t.akustik HiLo, SA-N, SA-PA absorbers
The Thomann t.akustik range of foam absorber tiles, are Thomann-branded, budget material. The only specification given for the HiLo tiles, is their density; At 16,5kg/m3, the material is the lightest material I’ve found, which I believe cases poor performance. It is the cheapest material, though, and probably better than nothing.

They are available in different thickness, most of which are eggbox-shaped. The thickest are available as pyramids as well.

Their larger SA-N and SA-PA foam tiles have no specification at all, but I’ll guess they have the same density.

I've written a few more summary articles on Acoustic treatment on by blog/webpage/whatever to call it. No registration, no fees, no ads. Just inspiration!

Back