Speakers/Power Amp

Fun that you mention GK from GE.
I don't know him myself, but friend of mine who lives in the same village as Cesar Zuiderwijk had a girlfriend which was on cocking lesson with him. Seen him there a few times though.

To bad his mom died some years ago, but untill then my wife regularly spoke another very famous artist. A singer/basist called Vrienten.
And another famous female singer is living in my village, spoke her some times at business meetings and confront her often at the mall.

The world is so small. :rolleyes:

GE are still trundling along as you know - I actually bought their last album "Tits 'n' Ass" on CD (I'm not sure if they've done another since, perhaps they have). I much prefer their 70s stuff, in particular Moontan (of course) and the first live album, but Tit's 'n' Ass is not bad for what it is. There's a few albums in the middle I'm missing but I have mostly everything they've ever done. When I was in high school and kids bought LPs to school to swap and talk about, I took great pride in getting on the bus with Moontan because of THAT COVER. That and Kiss' Dressed to Kill - it was all about shock value. :D

Ok, this is not a Prime Time thread.

Everyone PLEASE just chill out and get back on topic please? There is a bunch of misunderstanding and personal opinion going on here. That is why we have these conversations. Not about a 'who does or has done what' battle.

It may be too late tho...

:facepalm:

Ok, this is not a Prime Time thread.

Everyone PLEASE just chill out and get back on topic please? There is a bunch of misunderstanding and personal opinion going on here. That is why we have these conversations. Not about a 'who does or has done what' battle.

It may be too late tho...

:facepalm:

Geez, I make an innocent thread saying I like my speakers and power amp and it all turns to hell.

I just got the touch. :drunk:

Geez, I make an innocent thread saying I like my speakers and power amp and it all turns to hell.

I just got the touch. :drunk:

I'll try to stay as 'moderate' as possible, but it did seem you took offense to a simple question. Then it turned into a discussion that this thread is not about.

It is fine to argue points, but it seemed to turn personal. That isn't what this site is for. It about learning from each other. Not stating personal opinions without the experience to give them.

No judgment here from me, just start over and let this thread be about the topic, not personal arguments...

I'll try to stay as 'moderate' as possible, but it did seem you took offense to a simple question. Then it turned into a discussion that this thread is not about.

It is fine to argue points, but it seemed to turn personal. That isn't what this site is for. It about learning from each other. Not stating personal opinions without the experience to give them.

No judgment here from me, just start over and let this thread be about the topic, not personal arguments...

On the plus side Jimmy, I'm talking to someone who's met my GUITAR HERO when I was about 14/15 - before I could actually play. So it's not all bad. :D

My sister went skiing with Clint Eastwood...had Madonna riding in the back of the limo...provided legal work for Alicia Keys' producer (or manager)...had her picture taken with Obama...and knew a whole bunch of Hollywood types over the years...
...but WTF does that do for me or have anything to do with my audio cred?

Absolutely nothing. :D

We're talking about HiFi speakers VS studiko reference monitors...and next thing you know, we're doing a trip down memory lane instead of talking about the speakers...which by the way, the question has still not been answered, only smoke screens were posted.
What's the "bet" hanging on that HiFI speakers are as good as studio reference monitors for mixing?

THAT...is what the question was, and was never answered by the guy who raised it...instead, we got YouTube music clips and a lot of "I don't need to prove anything"...which says a lot about the person making the original "bet".

Anyway...funny thread otherwise. :p

So...does anyone else want to discuss stereo HiFi speakers VS monitors...

...or should we all post up last summer's vacation photos instead? ;)

Well today I am happy with what I have learned from my experience with these...

I don't have pictures of the time I had Alice Cooper sign a jury duty notice. Or the times I met the guys in Metallica, or the time I had to sit in a small chair while meeting the guys from AC/DC, or the time I hung out with Ronnie and Wendy Dio, or the time my bands opened for Pantera, Damn Yankees, Suicidal Tendencies, Savatage, or Fate's Warning. Well, maybe I do have some, but what the hell does that matter?

Well treated space and monitors worth using IMO are what works for me. :)

No reason to argue...

Attachments

• 20170330_172631.jpg
    20170330_172631.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 1
Oooh now everyone is name dropping??

I'm impressed. :D

LOL! Just memories. The point is it isn't who you knew or had privy to talk to. Doesn't make the breakfast eggs any better. That takes butter and bacon!

Who I have met or played with don't matter. It has no meaning in regards to my opinion on monitors.

The experience I have is only with the time I have spent learning on my own. That is what matters to me.

I went at it for the first page or two with Miroslav (something like that) and left. I came back on page 5 and told my Gabriel story because he was mentioned as having the same monitors. It's a cute story. But, from my recollection I have been around for the last 6 pages of arguing. But, I do start a nice fight.

LOL! Just memories. The point is it isn't who you knew or had privy to talk to.

Exactly.

Sure...trips down memory lane are OK from time to time...and people you have met/known leave something with you...
...but that's not ever any kind of proof of your credibility with anything.

"I was at a Stephen Hawking lecture, therefore I must be smart". :D

I went at it for the first page or two with Miroslav (something like that) and left. I came back on page 5 and told my Gabriel story because he was mentioned as having the same monitors. It's a cute story. But, from my recollection I have been around for the last 6 pages of arguing. But, I do start a nice fight.

When people make statements about something audio XYZ...I like to know where their knowledge is coming from if what they are saying isn't making sense.
When they get upset by that question...well, that's not really arguing about anything specific...that's just a lot of smoke getting in the way. :)

My sister went skiing with Clint Eastwood...had Madonna riding in the back of the limo...provided legal work for Alicia Keys' producer (or manager)...had her picture taken with Obama...and knew a whole bunch of Hollywood types over the years...
...but WTF does that do for me or have anything to do with my audio cred?

Absolutely nothing. :D

We're talking about HiFi speakers VS studiko reference monitors...and next thing you know, we're doing a trip down memory lane instead of talking about the speakers...which by the way, the question has still not been answered, only smoke screens were posted.
What's the "bet" hanging on that HiFI speakers are as good as studio reference monitors for mixing?

THAT...is what the question was, and was never answered by the guy who raised it...instead, we got YouTube music clips and a lot of "I don't need to prove anything"...which says a lot about the person making the original "bet".

Anyway...funny thread otherwise. :p

So...does anyone else want to discuss stereo HiFi speakers VS monitors...

...or should we all post up last summer's vacation photos instead? ;)

I merely posted that I LOVE my speakers and power amp. Perhaps someone looking for a set might see the original post and buy them. You never know. That's as far as I'm going. I LOVE my speakers, you are more than willing to hate them. Ask questions I have no intention of answering. I don't care. They do me just fine. That was the point of this thread. Start another thread with speaker recommendations. This set was mine.

Oh and "One of my problems" is something I add A LOT. It's a saying. But in the end, the speakers are no problem, the real problem are my EARS. When I was in the real studio and using the finest professional equipment, I still didn't hear what the others heard. There are little things that mixers can hear that non-mixers can't. If you point out the error, then it can be heard. But, that's a talent, and no monitor system can teach that. Some can learn and others can't. I'm doing okay. I'm not good, but I don't suck.

This thread, it's certainly has grown some legs.
Hell maybe even wings. :D

Entertaining to say the least.

And on one of these threads, I even got put on an ignore list. I'm flattered! Never happened before.
:D

Anyone have any good vacation pics?
:D

I don't think there is any such thing as reference mixing monitors. It's whatever one wants. Reference monitors are the state of the art which, usually implies they will knock you upside the wall. Focal's Grande Utopia EM are, certainly, in that territory.. What would be low end - the Bowers 800 series, etc. ?

When people make statements about something audio XYZ...I like to know where their knowledge is coming from if what they are saying isn't making sense.
When they get upset by that question...well, that's not really arguing about anything specific...that's just a lot of smoke getting in the way. :)

My knowledge come from my ears and wallet. I go to the store tell them what I want to do, get recommendations and purchase. I'm sure this is not acceptable to you. But, I'm happy with it. So, you can tell me my system sucks, my music sucks and I suck. It's still not going to change the fact I love my system and I'm happy to pass on the info to someone who isn't as knowledgeable regarding systems as yourself.

"One of my problems" is something I add A LOT. It's a saying. But in the end, the speakers are no problem, the real problem are my EARS. When I was in the real studio and using the finest professional equipment, I still didn't hear what the others heard. There are little things that mixers can hear that non-mixers can't. If you point out the error, then it can be heard. But, that's a talent, and no monitor system can teach that. Some can learn and others can't. I'm doing okay. I'm not good, but I don't suck.

I was just reading your original post as written and taking it at face value...I don't know that you say "one of my problems" a lot or that it means something different to you. :)

AFA as learning how to listen to mixes...yeah, some talent, but anyone with decent ears can learn...though like singing in pitch is impossible for some people, I guess so is hearing the critical details when mixing for some.
In that regard, my original responses to your original posts still stand...if the monitors make everything sound good, it may be working against you. It doesn't matter who else uses them and can hear more details than you...it doesn't change your problem.
I just made a monitor switch...and it was instantly evident where my old ones were "hiding' some details that I was not hearing...but they certainly sounded good for listening to music. So you might want to at least audition other monitors instead of just going by what others recommend or assuming the the 20/20 are good enough for you 'cuz Peter Gabriel used them. ;)

And on one of these threads, I even got put on an ignore list. I'm flattered! Never happened before.

It only counts if they actually ignore you instead of coming back over and over to respond to you while telling you that you are on their ignore list. :p

I was just reading your original post as written and taking it at face value...I don't know that you say "one of my problems" a lot or that it means something different to you. :)

AFA as learning how to listen to mixes...yeah, some talent, but anyone with decent ears can learn...though like singing in pitch is impossible for some people, I guess so is hearing the critical details when mixing for some.
In that regard, my original responses to your original posts still stand...if the monitors make everything sound good, it may be working against you. It doesn't matter who else uses them and can hear more details than you...it doesn't change your problem.
I just made a monitor switch...and it was instantly evident where my old ones were "hiding' some details that I was not hearing...but they certainly sounded good for listening to music. So you might want to at least audition other monitors instead of just going by what others recommend or assuming the the 20/20 are good enough for you 'cuz Peter Gabriel used them. ;)

Yeah, I write like I speak, which is full of self-deprecation and a lot of sarcasm. I ams what I ams and that's all I ams.

But, the thing is, I create MP3s, CDs play them on all different stereos, headphones, my car, and they all sound the same as they do on my 20/20. So changing speakers won't help. Plus I don't have the cash to buy new ones. If I bought anything I'd update my MAC, it's a G5 when they were first released. Most of the internet doesn't even work on it anymore. Thankfully, I have this crap ASUS laptop (spend a little more and get a real one) and can do this during the TV commercials.

Yeah, I write like I speak, which is full of self-deprecation and a lot of sarcasm. I ams what I ams and that's all I ams.

But, the thing is, I create MP3s, CDs play them on all different stereos, headphones, my car, and they all sound the same as they do on my 20/20. So changing speakers won't help. Plus I don't have the cash to buy new ones. If I bought anything I'd update my MAC, it's a G5 when they were first released. Most of the internet doesn't even work on it anymore. Thankfully, I have this crap ASUS laptop (spend a little more and get a real one) and can do this during the TV commercials.

I again will try to stay 'moderate' and keep out of any argument here. But:

If all of your mixes sound the same on all different stereos, your headphones, and your car as well as your 20/20's, then you either have the impossible golden egg of listening devices or you have not yet the experience to know the differences in what you are hearing. Sorry man, but you are lying to yourself and being arrogant about what you are confident in. That is just not realistic to even state. It just isn't possible for a mix to sound the same on headphones as it does on any other system. They may translate well, but 'all sound the same'? Not ever....

Anyway, I think it is awesome that you are creating mixes that translate to other systems for you. That is not an easy task. Please try to understand that people here are not asking questions to start an argument. Only finding the basis for your comments.

Please man, just stop fueling the fire and learn from what you are reading from others. Quit trying to be right because honestly, you are losing that battle. Better to move on and learn from others/share your experience with others, than argue pointless bullshit.

And always be kind to your pets! :D

Back