Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Speaker compatibility

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Just to be clear Bob. I am only advocating 2x speaker rating over nominal amp power for guitar speakers and then really only for VALVE op stages of 50W or more. The "classic" AC30 EL84 stage will never deliver more than about 40W no matter what you do (but, N.B. the very early AC30s used Goodmans 15W 12s and they DID burn out. )

The guitar amplifier WILL be overdriven and valves tend to "beat" thermal compression that would otherwise protect VCs driven from transistors.

Many, many years ago we had a pair of KEF Chorals and the tweeters would pop if the tape was dropped early onto the heads in fast wind mode (Quad 303 drive IIRC) a couple of fuses save that situation. That is a case of perfectly match speaker power and PA but a non-standard signal that you would never encounter in a domestic setup.

In an ideal world, speakers are selected to produce a wanted SPL at X mtrs with some headroom determined by the clients pocket! It then becomes a simple matter to decide upon suitable amplifier power. But of course! With itinerate musos "ideal" never happens.

Dave.

Thanks
    That's my method, run the mixer at nominal output and trim it back at the amp.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Just to be clear Bob. I am only advocating 2x speaker rating over nominal amp power for guitar speakers and then really only for VALVE op stages of 50W or more. The "classic" AC30 EL84 stage will never deliver more than about 40W no matter what you do (but, N.B. the very early AC30s used Goodmans 15W 12s and they DID burn out. )

The guitar amplifier WILL be overdriven and valves tend to "beat" thermal compression that would otherwise protect VCs driven from transistors.

Many, many years ago we had a pair of KEF Chorals and the tweeters would pop if the tape was dropped early onto the heads in fast wind mode (Quad 303 drive IIRC) a couple of fuses save that situation. That is a case of perfectly match speaker power and PA but a non-standard signal that you would never encounter in a domestic setup.

In an ideal world, speakers are selected to produce a wanted SPL at X mtrs with some headroom determined by the clients pocket! It then becomes a simple matter to decide upon suitable amplifier power. But of course! With itinerate musos "ideal" never happens.

Dave.
    I leave the guitar amp to the guitarist (except for frequently yelling "turn it down" with some of them!

PA amps and speakers are a different kettle of fish from domestic stuff (where I'd agree about being more careful with matching the specs). My "double the power" advice is for PA work only with gear designed to be used that way.

I now only have a small PA anyway and have got around this issue with powered speakers. However, I still work the same way with those--I set up the gain structure on the mixer as I want it then turn up the input attenuators on the speakers to the level I need. For the size of place where I typically use my gear (there are only two or three venues where I tend to work and most of it is musical theatre) this means the knob about half way up for a plenty loud signal and lots of room before clipping.
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

Thanks
    Off topic, but the keyword appeared and I have a triggered responce : ) I've been want to try mixing on KEF Chorals II. Would that be any fun ? Or, the closely sized C-models from that period

Thanks
    I've mixed on a variety of KEF speakers and they've all be good and accurate. I've never mixed on the Chorals but suspect they'd be pretty good. Indeed, I count selling my 104ab models as one of my many lifetime mistakes.
    That's what I do. I drink and I know things.
    -Tyrion Lannister (and Bobbsy)

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbsy View Post
    I've mixed on a variety of KEF speakers and they've all be good and accurate. I've never mixed on the Chorals but suspect they'd be pretty good. Indeed, I count selling my 104ab models as one of my many lifetime mistakes.
    The KEF was used in a small office room and monitored speech from another room used for VOs. Everything was mono! The voice was used along with computer controlled 35mm slide presentations. Anyone remember those? !

Dave.

Thanks
    Thanks, so much. They were on my list when I bought my used Tannoy and I'm kinda' out of room, so I put them on the backburner. I'll try to find room for a pair.

Thread Information