Soundproofing Pipes

Kasey

I record in an unfinished room in my basement, and i love it for the most part, it doesnt sound that bad (since its all unfinished i dont usually have issues with flat parallel walls and such), it has an atmosphere that i like, and its a pretty good size. The only problem is that there's water pipes on the ceiling, which isnt finished either (obviously). Whenever water runs anywhere in the house, there is an awful hiss from these pipes (not only can i not record, i have to leave the room, its that annoying). I've looked at wrapping it in soundproofing material, but that looked really expensive (i'm a high school student... money is little) but i saw some stuff on soundproofing paint... would this work? Are there other options that I dont know about?

Kasey said:
I record in an unfinished room in my basement, and i love it for the most part, it doesnt sound that bad (since its all unfinished i dont usually have issues with flat parallel walls and such), it has an atmosphere that i like, and its a pretty good size. The only problem is that there's water pipes on the ceiling, which isnt finished either (obviously). Whenever water runs anywhere in the house, there is an awful hiss from these pipes (not only can i not record, i have to leave the room, its that annoying). I've looked at wrapping it in soundproofing material, but that looked really expensive (i'm a high school student... money is little) but i saw some stuff on soundproofing paint... would this work? Are there other options that I dont know about?

Kasey,

Please - show me where to look at this soundproofing paint - this I have to see.

Nope - sorry - you have to insulate the pipes - not only that - but even insulation may not help you depending on the actual frequency of the "hiss" you refer to. It's possible some of that sound gets into the surrounding structure and then getting rid of it is even harder.

I apologize because I know this isn't what you want to hear - but I really would love to see this soundproofing paint you refer to.............

Rod

Soundproofing paint? Is that even remotely possible?

You can find large sheets of material that are made just for soundproofing (supposed to be better than lead). Auralex makes some and I have seem something similar somewhere else. It comes in rolls and is intended to be used during the construction phase of a studio.. You could wrap that around pipes and see if it helps.

Sheetblok

Sheetblok Plus

Last edited:
john mansville and others make piping insulation - its what I used to make my tube traps. it ain't cheap, but that all depends on the size of your pipes....

Back