Soundproof Wall Design

bdam123

I'm looking to build a soundproof wall. I'm searching around for a design and I'm not sure what will work best. Can you guys point me to a good one if you have any experience? Right now I'm leaning toward the Double Leaf design.

Have a read of this: LINK.

It is published by Auralex, but it has good advice on studio soundproofing.

Alan.

Ironic that a company that... never mind...

I only looked for a few but it seems they are giving some really good info there. It kind of contradiction of the products they sell but it seems to work for them.

I know Auralex sell foam products, but It just reinforces that sound proofing is different to acoustics. Yes, I am no fan of foam acoustics materials.
Alan.

How can you make a single soundproof wall? ;)

Eliminate anyone from the side of wall you don't want them to hear? lol

I get sound transmission on an external wall for neighbors, but to actually soundproof in an interior situation, you may as well rebuild the whole room twice. Reducing your space. Which not a good idea.

Not having a clue as to what you are dealing with and asking, the question is kind of silly/vague in this simple form.

I saw a video somewhere that showed the most effective was a double wall with no inner drywall and an air gap between the studs, ie the inside part you couldn’t see was just studs and rock wool separated by an inch or so.

Of course a lot of sound will travel through the floor so this would only help sounds from getting through the wall!

The whole point is that you can't make just a single wall soundproof - sound will go over/around/through the rest of the space/walls/ceiling/floor.

Yep - concur here. If the house uses conventional wooden joists and floorboards, or sheet material, even if you build a solid effective freestanding wall, you have one sheet of plasterboard and one sheet of flooring to the cavity - and as the cavity runs to the problem wall - and often into it if the house is older and the joist sit in channels - there is a very easy route for the sound to travel. You'd have to get into both cavities, floor and ceiling and install a barrier. That's not remotely a simple job. You could add more layers to the ceiling, and put a layered floor in - but you'd need to consider loading. 18mm of extra plasterboard is about 30Kg for 1.2 x 2.4m - so that's no lightweight mass you are attaching. Same thing if you add in extra floor layers.

And even with the density added to structure (which will help) you will still have low end transmission which is usually the most problematic.

Again tho, I haven't seen the goals of what the soundproofing is for. If for isolation inside the room just for privacy recording vocals or acoustic guitar, then the low end isn't such a big deal. If trying to keep drums in or out, well then you kind of fooked.

Room isolation is different from room tuning.
You need to treat every surface, gap and cavity to be effective.
There is some good into here: http://www.acoustica.com.au/
I used their quietwave wall treatment when building the mix suite here.
Pay particular attention to window and door seals as one small leak can completely eliminate the effect of all the other treatment.

I used QuietRock on a project before and it worked fairly well. But you need to make sure everything else is done properly to remove all short ciruits and weak spots. Those walls were designed to be STC 60 in a corporate office where they wanted zero sound transfer from one office to another. The rooms felt 'quiet' and we never got a call about them, so it must have worked well for them.

Back