Soundproof vocal booth

Big Thier

Ok so, I'll try to make this short.

I live in an apartment, and I have a room dedicated to music (listening, mixing and recording). The room is fully treated, and I can listen to music quite loud (subwoofer turned off) without the neighbors really hearing anything (I asked them).

I want to record vocals, but I sing high and loud, so I'm almost sure people will be able to hear. That is why I'm thinking of buying a vocal booth. I found this one: Mobile Sound Booth 3x3 with Soundproofing - Portable Vocal Booth

It claims to reduce the sound up to 45 dB, but I'm wondering if it'll sound boxy. If so, I could put a few basstraps in there.

It's very expensive, but I've been through the trouble of building, taking apart and moving a 6' X 4' X 7' drywall and wood frame booth, and I'm not going back there.

I'd be really interested into hearing what you guys have to say. Thanks!

OMG!

They want $2,750.67 for that...?!?!?!

Listen...if you can crank music quite loud, and it doesn't bother anyone...how do you think your singing alone will be heard and bothersome...???
If that room is treated...it's will sound 10 times better than that portable phone booth...and yeah, that booth will be stuffy & boxy sounding.
Take half of the $2,750.67...and add some more treatment to the walls that face your neighbors...and then be happy.

Me...I would be very neighborly...bake a fucking cake if you have to...and then simply go with cake in-hand and ask your neighbors if your music is coming through the walls too loud and bothering them. Heck...do a test with them...and see what you have before you spend all that money. :facepalm:

You could buy 3-4 ready-baked cakes for like $20 at the supermarket. That should cover all your neighbors. :)

You could get more than 27 hours of time in a local studio for that ....

I know that, but I want to record at my place.

Also, there is no adjacent wall to the neighbors, it's more the ceiling/floor and the sound coming out the door that I think might bother them. And honestly I just don't feel comfortable belting it out right now. I'm used to singing in a booth where nobody can hear. I might try to soundproof the door with something like this:
The AcoustiDoor™ | Residential Acoustics(R)

Sound proof or sound reduction? Sound proof is a pretty tall order. Like the difference between fire proof and fire resistant.

And honestly I just don't feel comfortable belting it out right now. I'm used to singing in a booth where nobody can hear.

Oh...so it's not really about the neighbors being bothered. You just want the booth for your own comfort so no one can hear your singing.

OK...but you're better off getting over that instead of throwing money to hide it.
I mean...you could spend that money on a great preamp...or a new guitar....or whatever. :)

So...do you not have a door that can be closed?
Put some treatment on the door to beef it up. You could also put some on the ceiling.
TBH...if you're thinking those porta-booth solutions will prevent your neighbors from hearing your singing 100%...mmm...maybe, but possibly not.
I mean, if that's really the goal...to hide your singing from them...it might take quite a bit of layers of treatment.

Sound proof or sound reduction? Sound proof is a pretty tall order. Like the difference between fire proof and fire resistant.

Sound reduction obviously.

---------- Update ----------

Oh...so it's not really about the neighbors being bothered. You just want the booth for your own comfort so no one can hear your singing.

OK...but you're better off getting over that instead of throwing money to hide it.
I mean...you could spend that money on a great preamp...or a new guitar....or whatever. :)

So...do you not have a door that can be closed?
Put some treatment on the door to beef it up. You could also put some on the ceiling.
TBH...if you're thinking those porta-booth solutions will prevent your neighbors from hearing your singing 100%...mmm...maybe, but possibly not.
I mean, if that's really the goal...to hide your singing from them...it might take quite a bit of layers of treatment.

It's a concrete ceiling so I'm not too sure how to go about that. I don't think I could screw anything to the ceiling.

It's a concrete ceiling so I'm not too sure how to go about that. I don't think I could screw anything to the ceiling.

There's ways to screw things into concrete...but the more obvious solution (IMO) would be to use a decent adhesive to attach acoustic panels to the concrete.
I've used the typical silicone caulk adhesive to attach panels directly to walls/ceiling, so I'm sure it would work just as well to concrete.
Something that is fairly quick-setting.

Here's one trick if you plan to leave that place at some point and you want to take the panels down...first glue the panels to a cardboard sheet, like the artist's cardboard, not brown box cardboard...then glue that to the wall/ceiling. That way, when you want to remove it, you pull with the cardboard, and if anything is left sticking, it will be some of the cardboard.
If you use a silicone caulk adhesive, it tends to "let go" much easier than some industrial grade adhesive.

Of course...if gluing or screwing anything the walls/ceiling is a no-no in your apartment...then you're kind stuck.

The whole thing with the booth idea...is that it will sound like ass, cost a lot of money, and may not give you that "no-sound" security that you are after.
I think if you already invested in acoustic treatment for the room, and the loud music is not an issue...just sing out, don't get hung up about it.
I think most people feel a bit self-conscious at first, or mainly if some is there, looking a them, etc...but if you close your door, and no one can see you, and they are not complaining about any loudness....then sing away. :thumbs up:

And TBH...if you are talking *concrete* floors/ceilings...I don't think your singing is going get through that to be bothersome to anyone...maybe not even heard at all, as-is.

There's ways to screw things into concrete...but the more obvious solution (IMO) would be to use a decent adhesive to attach acoustic panels to the concrete.
I've used the typical silicone caulk adhesive to attach panels directly to walls/ceiling, so I'm sure it would work just as well to concrete.
Something that is fairly quick-setting.

Here's one trick if you plan to leave that place at some point and you want to take the panels down...first glue the panels to a cardboard sheet, like the artist's cardboard, not brown box cardboard...then glue that to the wall/ceiling. That way, when you want to remove it, you pull with the cardboard, and if anything is left sticking, it will be some of the cardboard.
If you use a silicone caulk adhesive, it tends to "let go" much easier than some industrial grade adhesive.

Of course...if gluing or screwing anything the walls/ceiling is a no-no in your apartment...then you're kind stuck.

The whole thing with the booth idea...is that it will sound like ass, cost a lot of money, and may not give you that "no-sound" security that you are after.
I think if you already invested in acoustic treatment for the room, and the loud music is not an issue...just sing out, don't get hung up about it.
I think most people feel a bit self-conscious at first, or mainly if some is there, looking a them, etc...but if you close your door, and no one can see you, and they are not complaining about any loudness....then sing away. :thumbs up:

And TBH...if you are talking *concrete* floors/ceilings...I don't think your singing is going get through that to be bothersome to anyone...maybe not even heard at all, as-is.

So you think silicone could hold a 3'X3' 6lbs pannel?

You may have to support it until the adhesive sets.
I've done it with 2' x 4' panels that are about 4 lbs, and I only used a small amount of adhesive...like a bead around the edges and then a big "X" across the middle.

You can also use stronger and faster setting adhesive instead of silicone caulk adhesive.

What's the 3' x 3' panel made of?

building a small booth

"It's very expensive, but I've been through the trouble of building, taking apart and moving a 6' X 4' X 7' drywall and wood frame booth, and I'm not going back there."

I also built my studio space(6x11)
I started out by buying 4 doors from Home Depot(or equivalent), connecting them by hinges so I could tear it down easily, then taped the cracks, used moving blankets on the inside and used ceiling tiles nailed to the doors also. You can put it in almost a closed "C" formation. On top, You could buy some DENIM sound batts online(yes all cotton fabric, which is the best sound proofing) for over the top.
Keeping it small and portable means you don't have to have it set up all the time. Much cheaper than the sound booth, though it looks a little scrappier. The cotton sound batts are worth it, find them online. That's my 2 cents. Good luck. I say don't go broke on it.

I made my studio space(6x11) in my front room using inexpensive doors from my local store(Home Depot) fastened together with hinges for easy setu/teardown, taped the cracks, used the large ceiling tiles or carpet nailed to the doors, and also moving blankets ($15 and they work). I bought good cotton fabric sound batts for the ceiling(online, and cotton/fabric sound batts are the most soundproof. Configure like a "C", buy more doors for more space. Yes it takes time, but not as much, and it's cheaper, and once you have it, no more handiwork. Doesn't have to stay set up either. There's my 2 cents, good luck

Unless you have a room larger than 13'x10'x8' with open walls and ceiling for acoustic treatment, I say scrap the isolation idea completely. If in fact you have an issue with others not hearing you while you sing, then you really need to just realize that you have your own balls...

The neighbors are not going to hear your vocals if they are not bothered by your speakers.

That being said, I have much experience with timid singers. You have to get over that if you want to sing the way you hear it in your head. Do not hide! Just sing...

Use the treated big room and just do it. Trust me, it will be way better then the shitty isolation room. That will be a waste of time and money...

I know that, but I want to record at my place.

Also, there is no adjacent wall to the neighbors, it's more the ceiling/floor and the sound coming out the door that I think might bother them. And honestly I just don't feel comfortable belting it out right now. I'm used to singing in a booth where nobody can hear. I might try to soundproof the door with something like this:
The AcoustiDoor™ | Residential Acoustics(R)

Look out. You would be paying a premium price for a product of likely very little benefit.
But that still misses the point.
Is dampening over a door -a solid object that does not transmit much sound and also represents but a fraction of the space going to change things much?
No.

Why not pick off an area around you and the mic instead of the whole room.
'Packing blankets doubled up with a gap between them.. would be cheaper and more effective.
[square feet and weight are the game here.]

Some overhead should be considered as well for the hard reflections from above.

That being said, I have much experience with timid singers. You have to get over that if you want to sing the way you hear it in your head. Do not hide! Just sing...

I know it's not the main topic, but just wanted to chime in and say that's completely true.

Back