Sound Isolation Clips

Kjv1993

Busking a Subway Near You
Today I was talking to a professional sound proofing man about soundproofing a small room in my basement for a studio. He told me to hang drywall off of sound isolation clips to prevent sound transfer from upstairs. Has anyone used these before and how effictive are they against just screwing it up. Here is a link to the exact product:

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/rsic_clips/risc_clips.htm

I think you would have to be a bit of an idiot to screw into a stud that you were staring at just before you put a pece of drywall up..hopefully you would mark where the studs are as well on th drywall surface..
And OP, they are very effective when properly used and when the load is calculated properly and right amount of clips is used for a given area.

You also have to FOLLOW THE PLACEMENT DIRECTIONS VERY CAREFULLY. Please read that twice so you don't forget. Usually the person you're purchasing from will tell you exactly how many to do in what size area. Do *exactly* what you're told. If you do too many or too few in a particular size area you'll screw it all up.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend Ted at The Sound Proofing Company. They don't come much better than him in terms of telling you how to do things the right way.

Frank

I think you would have to be a bit of an idiot to screw into a stud that you were staring at just before you put a pece of drywall up..
I read about a test a few years back, where an EXPERIENCED crew of drywall installers, were given the task of laying up two layers of 5/8 on RC. After the install, it was all demo'ed. They found TWENTY PLUS screws that had managed to find their way into the framing. :rolleyes: I wouldn't want those guys installing for me. geeeezus.:(

I read about a test a few years back, where an EXPERIENCED crew of drywall installers, were given the task of laying up two layers of 5/8 on RC. After the install, it was all demo'ed. They found TWENTY PLUS screws that had managed to find their way into the framing. :rolleyes: I wouldn't want those guys installing for me. geeeezus.:(

Rick,

the last 2 projects I was on - a 90 million dollar high rise hotel and a 3.2 million dollar 3 story apt building - they screwed it up on a regular basis.

And I began both projects with a sit down meeting on the proper installation of the product, and spent about 2 hours with the entire crew for each contractor to make sure every one got it.

I set it up so they had to complete the wall's 1st layer, at which time I would perform an inspection and make them fix any problems - then and only then - after a reinspection of problem areas they could proceed with the 2nd layer of drywall - and after my inspection of that they could begin the final taping.

What amazed me on the apartment build was how difficult it was for them to get the right side up.......

They went through it in the meeting - I had developed a series of installation details for them to work with - in 3" scale - and I still had to have them rip down about a dozen walls on the 3rd floor before they got it right. Then they were fine through the rooms and the 2nd and 3rd floor corridors but they lost it on the first floor and installed the entire corridor upside down - and (unfortunately for them) had the first layer of drywall insalled...... so they had to rip it all down and flip the channl.

I'll never figure it out.......

Rod

I'll never figure it out.......
:D Hahahahahaha! It never ceases to amaze me! ;) Even though I've never walked in your shoes Rod, I've had my share of similar ...lets just say..."experiences":D Thanks for sharing that.

Hey buddy!! So glad to see you here. Just read your reply at Johns site to Myriads project.(Btw, and please keep it to yourself...."I'm" the designer of his plan...except for the brick. I tried to show him why not to use it. More on that later...and at Johns:D) I haven't wanted to bother you cause I know your one of the busiest guys around, but I DO have a few things I'd sure like to discuss with you when you have time. Shoot me a pm, or facebook thingy or whatever when you have a few moments you can spare. Thanks again Rod.

oh, btw...I'm down to the last couple of chapters in your book...WHICH REMINDS ME GUYS!! Rod is THE author of..."Home Recording Studios Build it like the Pros"......AMAZING BOOK!! Best resource for anything you need to know about building a home studio.
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/1598630342

I suggest you guys buy it!!! Rod tells it like it is. THANK YOU ROD!!:D

fitz

Back