Sound insulation from neighbours above for hip hop crew

So back to the drop ceiling idea...

Hip/Hop Electronica...aka Beats..being played back through nearfield monitors is the volume issue I think the original poster is dealing with. Not a Dub band with a 24x24 kick and an Ampeg 8x10...

I record MCs/Poets too, most of the time we all have headphones on during tracking. So to my neighbors, all that is audible is the MC spitting on my pop filter. Things only start to bump during playbacks and building rhythm tracks.

A landlord will most likely allow a drop ceiling visually and may shy away from anything that is not "up to code" for use as a rental dwelling.

The stuff is cheap!...and somewhat easy to install, materials are a one stop shop too, get your grid installed, stuff some R30 up in there, install the finished tiles. and get some of those cheap moving blankets for any windows and doors.

All the advise given on this thread is good stuff for sure and I'm no trying to discount any of it...but for the OP's music projects, this is super low budg, and it will make a difference, who knows, maybe you could get the land lord to chip in a little $ for the improvement to his rental unit.

...now back to your regular scheduled program.

So back to the drop ceiling idea...

All the advise given on this thread is good stuff for sure and I'm no trying to discount any of it...but for the OP's music projects, this is super low budg, and it will make a difference, who knows, maybe you could get the land lord to chip in a little $ for the improvement to his rental unit.

...now back to your regular scheduled program.

Don't forget to read the fine print ;)

Will it really make a difference though?

Well, his wallet will definitely be lighter :D That's for sure. What's not so sure is how much STC he'll get out of it. What if you spend all the money, time, and labor, and it's only .17 db cuz all the sound is flying up the ducts, or going around your new ceiling and flanking up the vertical walls? There's a significant chance of that happening.

What's not so sure is how much STC he'll get out of it.

Actually, when it comes to music...STC means nothing. Transmission at WHAT FREQUENCY is what matters. You may be able to completely atenuate 55db at 2000hz, but a 50hz sound at 110db...I doubt it. I mean, afterall, a kickdrum when played at normal rock levels is played, 110db at 1 meter is a NORM! When Monitoring Rap/Hiphop, I would submit the Bass frequencies at typical monitoring levels of 85db will EASILY transmit through two layers source side, and one layer recieve side assemblies. Add flanking paths, membrane floors/ceilings, and....well, you get the idea. A

:eek::rolleyes: Again, my .02. I just hate seeing people waste a lot of time and money on HALF ASSED solutions that in the big picture...ain't gonna do DIDDLEYSQAT for LOW FREQUENCY transmission loss. Afterall...isn't THAT what Hiphop and Rap is about...LOW FREQENCY PUMPING BASS AND DRUMS..with a little poetry thrown in for good measure.:D When's the last time you heard a car go by 50' away, with a 1000w amp pumping? geeezus..

Afterall...isn't THAT what Hiphop and Rap is about...LOW FREQENCY PUMPING BASS AND DRUMS..with a little poetry thrown in for good measure.:D When's the last time you heard a car go by 50' away, with a 1000w amp pumping? geeezus..

As I type, there is a road-roller working about 100 yards away. It's not particularly loud, but its low frequency rumble is permeating the whole frigging house.

Keeping low frquencies under control is extraordinarliy difficult. Doing it in a rented house, even more so.

Rick speaks words of wisdom.

Back