Sound dampening material?

Wannaplay

Can anyone tell me what the best wall covering material is for quieting AC condenser lines that are run through one of my interior walls? I attached 1"x2" fir strips and 3/4" styrofoam panels between them on this wall and then 1/2" sheetrock over that but still get noise when the AC is on. I don't want to build another wall due to the loss of space. Maybe some rigid fiberglass board? Thanks for any help!

What kind of sound are they making? The sound of the refridgerant running through, or knocking and banging like hot water pipes do sometimes?

The styrofoam treatment won't do anything to help. Maybe a couple inches of rockwool or RFS.

Best bet would be turn off the AC while tracking. That should clean line noise off your power, too.

My best guess (first guess) would be that these lines are actually touching the structure somewhere - and thus no matter what you do - until you de-couple them from the building you won't solve the problem.

Rod

c7sus, the sound is like a fluctuating pumping sound, probably the refridgerant like you said. The lines come in through a block wall and run up a perpendicular interior wall.
Rod, you are probably right, the lines do enter through the block wall and may even be secured inside that interior 2x4 wall where they run up into the attic to the air handler. I'll have to check it out. If thats the case and I cant access them I guess I'll just have to build a more sound proof booth or only use mics duing the window where the AC/heater is not running.

out. If thats the case and I cant access them I guess I'll just have to build a more sound proof booth or only use mics duing the window where the AC/heater is not running. [/B]

You can't access them?

If they are behind an interior wall, you knock out the drywall between the studs where the coolant lines go up, mount them on rubbered mounts so they are isolated from the structure, then screw on new drywall, apply joint compound, and paint.

A days work.

frederic, yeah I could do that but was hoping to avoid ripping out and replacing sheetrock. Think I'll try to rubber mount top and bottom (outside in the block and above in the attic) first to see if that does the trick. As for interior sound deadening, what is the best materialto put on the wall under the sheetrock? Thanks all for the help.

Back