Sound Dampening for Computer Case Enclosure?

ThaArtist

Its been awhile since I been here. I know some people have built computer case enclosures and lined them with foam and such. What do you recommend for cheap? So far the cheapest thing I'm planning on using is

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Barrier-Acoustic-Foam-PSA/dp/B0007XGKRW/ref=pd_sim_MI_5

What do you think? What did you do? What are your recommendations?

I wish I could get this stuff cause its flame resistant but its only 1/4" thick and I want 1" thick with no or barely any texture.

http://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Designs-eDead-V4-TekLite/dp/B000COY7WG/ref=pd_sim_e_5

Suggestions please !!!

My computer is sitting on the floor under my desk. It is plenty quiet compared to my monitoring levels. Its far enough away from my mics when recording that it isnt relevant.

Foam isn't going to stop sound moving from point a to point b. If you glue it to the case, it might dampen any vibration from the case itself (if its in fact making noise)

If your computer is that loud, or you are listening at levels that low, I'd look into getting quieter case fans and power supply before I messed with making an actual enclosure.

Just my 2c.

I meant a cabinent. Im building a cabinet to go around it. Nothing fancy. Just a box with an open back and front. I just built the computer and was on a budget. Spent $460 at newegg.

2.6 quadcore athon 2 x64
4 gigs ddr3 1333
Asus video card 512 ddr3
Gigabyte mobo
Samsung sata Optical
640 gig sata western digital cavlar black
Cheap Rosewill Case

I am in the process of getting some quieter fans and simple sound dampening for inside the case but I am also building a cheap cabinet but its not really a cabinet cause its open front and back.

I am looking for cheap rectangle foam that actually has some acoustical value properties for sound absorbtion but I aint tryin to break the bankg either. I'll pad the tops and sides of the box and behind the box on the wall. Thats good enough for me. I dont need dead silence. Just quieter...

So far I havent been able to find any good 1" foam for cheap, I know most will say that it's probably not available but thats why Im asking for solutions etc.

Hopefully that explains things better. Thanks!

I initially got the idea from a supposed picture of dr.dre's studio. Tucked away in the corner he had a mac tower (besides all the other really expensive gear, dont ask me why he had it i didnt even see any computer monitors besides on the super big board)... but it was enclosed tightly by some plain charcoal foam with no gaps.

I am doing the same thing. Now I planed on leaving an inch gap around the tower before the foam for cooling but if the case doesnt get too hot and I got a 120mm fan in the front of the case and a 120mm in the back of the case I dont see why I cant house the tower tightly in foam right? The front and back will be wide open still. What do you think about that? Fire hazard or should be fine? Any other problems with that idea?

Im still searching for foam solutions if anyone knows of any websites... thanks!

Im looking for foam that has no design... No wedges, no pyramids, just plain as can be... anyone know of anything?

Why mess around with trying to deaden noise (in a way that won't even be very effective) when you could easily eradicate it at the source just by getting quieter fans? Seems like a very strange way of doing things to me :)

I tend to use Noctua fans; very quiet, but still move a good amount of air (many of the cheaper 'quiet' fans are quiet because they're barely doing anything!)... also make sure that all your cabling inside the case is neat to allow for good airflow.

Take a browse through... http://www.quietpc.com/

mattr, Ive been through it. Ive built a few systems. Ive fixed and upgraded many systems... Ive bought from quietpc.com. Im also a member and avid reader at silentpcreview.com. People use sound dampening inside of cases etc. etc. And quiet cases with good airflow and suspended drives are pretty expensive. I was on a budget for this build. I ordered some very quiet rated 120mm scythe fans that also move alot of air. But I also want to put my computer off the ground, that only makes sense. SO I mind as well build a sound dampened cabinet. I bet it will help alot.

And in the past I had a nice quiet antec case with quiet fans and silicon absorbers around all the metal etc. etc. and the thing still had a wind sound. The cabinet will be a final measure to atleast prevent some of the sound from reaching my ears.

I figure it is worth it to attack the sound from all sources. Fans, vibrations in the case, airflow, case dampening, and finally an enclosure.

However, Ive only found two sources for plain acoustic foam that has no or little design to it.

Plus Im not sure if it would be a fire hazard to make the foam touching the case.

I dunno...

They make isolation boxes for computers, but I don't know how cheap they are. Throw the fan out and make it liquid cooled? Put it in another room? Definately, if it's on any sort of a surface like wood, put something between it and the wood so it doesn't transmit those vibrations.

Yeah thats it. Hows it going Panda. I remember you helped me alot some years ago with a home studio setup I had.
Very well thanks. Yourself? How is the home studio?

I eventually finished building mine and it's going well. I'm not earning enough from it to live on but have a part-time job and am attending university (it's weird being back in education after a couple years out).

Ive been good. I might be in the same boat soon going back to school. Im trying to avoid it by making a good portfolio for design since i think im good...

never got that space finished but still have everything i invested and now im stuck in a smaller space which isnt bad for me... i was trying to go to big before in a retarded space... this space is actually an improvement lol...

Back