Some photos of my studio construction

SonicClang

Part 4720981 coming soon!
6 years ago this week (!!!!!) I started constructing my recording studio. At the time of course I thought it would only take me 6 months because I had construction experience. Yeah… I was wrong about how long it would take me. Well, my brother-in-law is coming over this weekend so I took the whole week off work to prepare. My goal is to finish the major construction by the time he goes home. I've been working harder this week than any other in my entire life. There were a couple major hurtles I hadn’t gotten over yet, and now I have finally cleared them. This is what I want to share with you.

Hurtle #1: At the bottom of my stairs there used to be a 90 degree turn to the left through a door and into my studio. See the picture.
bottomofstairs.jpg

On the other side of that wall straight ahead and to the right is the laundry room. I've been wanting to cut that wall out for years so if my wife wants to do laundry when I'm playing drums or something she doesn't have to come into the studio, she can just go straight to the laundry room. The other reason I wanted to cut that wall out is because it's impossible to get anything big into the studio if you have to take a 90 degree turn right away. We tried moving a couch down here once and we couldn't fit it so I had to settle for a crappy old love seat. So what I wanted to do was make it so the whole area at the bottom of the stairs open up if I wanted to, which meant I had to build a 4 foot section of wall either removable, or make it swing. I've never attempted something like that, and I've never built a door, so this was a bit ambitious. Well, after many hours of work I finally got that huge piece of wall swinging, which means I now have an opening about 6 1/2 feet big to bring stuff down.
Here's a picture of the wall after it was cut out.
wallcutout.jpg

After cutting that out it was easy to see what needed to be cut out of the remaining wall section to get the whole thing opened up.
neededtogo.jpg

And after bout 10 minutes of cutting with the sawzall...
opened.jpg

Now you can see why opening up this area is beneficial to bringing big items downstairs.

The next step was to build the swinging wall section. The first step was to put down a stationary base and top section so the "door" has something to seal against.
basetop.jpg

Since I knew a wall section this large was going to be extremely heavy, I attached a heavy duty caster to the bottom.

caster.jpg

The next step was to frame the wall section just like any wall you'd frame, except I was using OSB as the top and bottom plate to make sure everything was true. 2 X 4's and 2 X 6's are natorious for being warped and twisted. After I had that all together I set it in place to make sure it fit and then I screwed the hinges on. The wall section swung freely. Here's a picture of it with the first layer of OSB from the live room side.
bigdoorskinned.jpg

The next step was keeping it from swinging freely, so I installed padio door pins at the top and bottom.
bigstudiodoor1.jpg

bigstudiodoor2.jpg

Pull the pins...

bigstudiodoor3.jpg

And swing away...

bigstudiodoor5.jpg

bigstudiodoor6.jpg

The other hurtle I had been putting off for years was the pole in the middle of the live room. See picture (this picture is a couple years old).

pole.jpg

What I wanted to do with this, since cutting it out would cause a catastrophic failure of the structure of my house, was build a frame around it. But I wanted it to be a little more than JUST a frame; I wanted to have a couple outlets in the base, and also have a shelf about 4 feet up for setting drinks on, because who really likes setting drinks on their amp? So here's the first part of the framing.

pole2.jpg

And then the top tapers down to allow for a small shelf. The studs on the top section were glued directly to the pole to make this as small as possible.

pole3.jpg

The next step was to build the shelf out of some oak I had laying around from a project from a couple years ago.
pole5.jpg

And there it is...
pole4.jpg

I'll post more pictures when I get some new stuff and when I get all my old stuff organized. I just wanted to show you guys what I've been working on this week.

I don't have a problem with drinks in my studio, I have a problem with stupid people in my studio. :)

Yeah cincy, my live room is 16 X 29. Plenty of space.

That's right man! :) Sometimes those drum sessions go real long and you need a little somethin' somethin' to keep you going.

BTW track rat, I think I remember you from these forums from back when I first started construction. I used to go by "Brian Grey", which by the way isn't my real name. I'm pretty sure I remember talking to you.

I'll DEFINITELY be posting more pictures in the coming days/weeks/months as I wrap things up.

I feel pretty lucky actually. After looking at all the pictures of people's studios in this forum I realize now that my space is bigger than average... which is probably why it's taking me longer to build. haha.

SonicClang, You are the man! The swinging wall is awsome and so is the shelf. More pics please your studio gives me such inspiration to build shit.

Ben

Awesome emergencyexit! I'm glad I've inspired you. :)

I was just looking through all the pictures I have from my digital camera, and unfortunately there aren't that many. I didn't get it until November of 04, which was 4 years into the build. All the other pictures are film pictures, which will take a little bit of work to scan in, which I will do after the real work is done. :) I'll have video clips too so you can see some of this stuff in action... and you'll see a couple dorks acting really dorky.

SonicClang said:
Awesome emergencyexit! I'm glad I've inspired you. :)

I was just looking through all the pictures I have from my digital camera, and unfortunately there aren't that many. I didn't get it until November of 04, which was 4 years into the build. All the other pictures are film pictures, which will take a little bit of work to scan in, which I will do after the real work is done. :) I'll have video clips too so you can see some of this stuff in action... and you'll see a couple dorks acting really dorky.

Sweet, sounds great! get 'em up ASAP.

Take your time actually, better to finish the studio first. :p

Ben

Hey Sonic...more power to ya. Like they say.."where theres a will, theres a way"! Your solutions are brilliant to say the least. Most home studio builders encounter stuff they'd like to change, but don't have the time, budget or resources to accomplish. Thats why mine has taken TEN years and I STILL ain't finished!! :rolleyes: :D Three moves, and a complete lifestyle change later and I finally have a place that I could call mine. But you know how it goes..I've had my room for 2 and a half years and STILL am working on it, although, I'm one of those DETAIL type persons. Hell, my console has become a detailing nightmare. Ha! Two months just to build a two-computer iso cabinet in it. Just now putting the finishing touches on it.
Anyway, your pics are very cool, and your determination and patience is inspiring....I think I'll go move the door "I've" been procrastinating on for months!
Whats kept me from it is that age old decision making in regards to "reselling" the house later. I'm moving a door across the rear corner of the room, but from the hallway outside, it kinda makes it look wierd. Oh well, I'll change it back IF I ever decide to sell the house later. :rolleyes: I always said this was the last house I'll live in anyway, and will probably die in it....so what the hell! :p

Well I hope you finish soon. Shit, sometimes it feels like by the time the studio is done I'll be too old to play!! :rolleyes:

Well my brother-in-law just left and I didn't get everything done I wanted to. There are still three doors to build and some of the ceiling still has to go up. But I definitely got a LOT done over the course of a week and one weekend. I built a huge rotating wall, a very thick sound-blocking door, a we put up a lot of the ceiling in the live room. I'll explain when I post pictures of the ceiling exactly what design I came up with to stop the sound and still give me access to the utilities above if I need to get to them.

Rick, I truely hope my studio is done by the time 10 years hits. The stuff you're talking about like audio cabling, I haven't even touched that stuff yet. I've just been constructing for 6 years. There was a year break when I went back to school for my BS degree (no really, it's BS), then I took another year break to play in a band. I just want the major construction done so I can finally get to wiring up the audio stuff.

Something came up as I was posting that last reply. I wanted to add to my comments.

As for finding solutions to the problems I've encountered, some of it comes from brain storming with people I talk to at work, and some of it just comes from dreaming. Most of my skills and abilities come from my job. Not that I do anything close to this at work, but I do stuff that requires ingenuity and constant brainstorming. That gives me the confidence I need to try something like a 13 1/2 inch swinging wall section. And building that gave me the confidence to decide to build all my doors myself. Plus I was looking at the price of solid core doors, and buying 6 of those kind of made me sick to the stomach. Plus I'd have to modify them to work in the studio anyway. If I build my doors myself I'll save a TON of money, and they'll probably work better in the end. Plus I don't need 6 now, just 3. The door I just built for entering my studio stops so much sound it's almost erie. It was something I never experienced the first time I closed the thing after I finished skinning it with OSB and drywall while I blasted music in the live room.

As for selling this house... NEVER. I will die in this house. Once this studio is done I will never sell this house. I'll pass it onto my kids when I die and hopefully they'll keep it in the family. It's in a great location in a great neighborhood. It looks just like all the other houses around which is great when you have as much stuff in your basement as I have. :)

PS: Speaking of creative solutions to problems... look at the 4th picture down in my original post. You see the little hole in the wall at the bottom right at the end of the stairs? That's my cat's litter box. I cut a hole in the wall just big enough for her to fit into it and the box has a cover. Plus I hooked up her box to the return air on the furnace after a filter. That way her box never smells, plus it doesn't take up any space. :)

So here are photos I took over the course of the weekend while working with my brother-in-law. I'm going with slightly larger pics today so you can see more detail.

This first one is of me covering the rough opening of door #1 with OSB.

briandoor.jpg

This is the first door besides the huge swinging wall piece that I had built. The hardest part about building a door as thick as I wanted it was figuring out how to make it swing and not have the back swinging corner get caught in the frame. I had to figure out exactly how much to notch out of the bottom and top plate, and then follow that notch with the door framing. Fortunately that kind of notch works perfectly in a studio situation because you then have a surface to seal against all around the door. Also keep in mind that the non hinged side of this door seals up against another door! This was certainly a chalange to get just right.

This picture was taken right after I framed the door, hung it on hinges, and skinned it with one layer of OSB.

door1_1.jpg

And this one just shows the door swung open without any insulation yet. I ended up putting 3 inch insulation inside this door.

door1_2.jpg

This is after I put drywall on the OSB. The trim on the right is temporary. I wanted to see what it would look like with the trim, plus I put a stop on the top hing and if it hit the drywall it would go straight through it.

door1_3.jpg

This one is of my brother-in-law and I putting up a ceiling tile. Again, I'll explain further my design for the ceiling at a later date. Briefly though, it's two layers of OSB mounted to the back of a layer of drywall, and the whole thing is bolted up to a grid work of 2 X 4's and every piece of the ceiling is removable so I can access all the utilities above. It's extremely time consuming to put up, but it will hopefully save me some time in the future when I need to get to a pipe or something. :)

LRceiling_1.jpg

Here's John tightening the last bolt in one of the smaller tiles.

LRceiling_2.jpg

Here's John after we put up 5 tiles, smiling at the mound of work we accomplished in a couple days.

LRceiling_3.jpg

I took this about 30 minutes ago right after I cleaned everything up and mopped the floor.

clean_1.jpg

Different angle.

clean_2.jpg

As you can see, the live room will be a fairly large room for a home recording studio. The reason for that is because I bought this house just because this basement was so big. I didn't want a two story because the basements are smaller than a single story. I also bought the house before I was married :) so in that respect I was somewhat fortunate that this space was already dedicated to my studio. It's going to be awesome when it's done, and something I'll be extremely proud of.

Keep up the good work SC! Very innovative solutions to the problems you are encountering. And keep the pictures coming too. What about a layout diagram so we can see what you're planning?

Mike

Yeah I suppose I could throw together a quick diagram tonight. The design as far as how the walls are positioned aren't too innovative or spectacular. I pretty much just worked with the space I had and did my best to strike a balance between home studio coolness and resellability.

I just threw this together really fast, but it gives you an idea of the size of my studio and the layout.

sclangstudio.jpg

Last edited:
WHat is the ceiling height of your control room?

I ask because if it's 8 feet, then you'll be under 1500 cubic feet which is pretty much the minimum for a control room. This is due to the fact that the sound waves (for lack of a better term) cannot mature in much less than 1500ft3.

Back