So, I was walking around the local building supplier

ShanPeyton

I came across this product.

MagnesiaCore Acoustical

Anyone in here heard of, or are using it currently? I haven't immersed myself into it fully just thought i'd toss it out there to see if anyone has any experience with it or looked into themselves? I might actually go back to this place on Saturday and see if they know more about it.

I went in looking for a swish barrell and came out with yet another Studio Treatment Conundrum. :facepalm:

Never heard of this magnesiacore stuff they reference - but notitce you have to spread tubes of this stuff (form caulking gun?) and it takes 30 days to set - WTF? The numbers are not all tha timpressive - what's the cost? I think two laye3rs of gypsum wiht green glue between would be better.

Never heard of this magnesiacore stuff they reference - but notitce you have to spread tubes of this stuff (form caulking gun?) and it takes 30 days to set - WTF? The numbers are not all tha timpressive - what's the cost? I think two laye3rs of gypsum wiht green glue between would be better.

I am a little skeptical myself. "Acoustical Goo" Sounds totally legitmate right?! HaHa. The website looks shoddy to begin with and the product itself in the store was over with all the stuff discounted to clear because a contractor either didn't want them or returned the left overs. I think i might talk to them to see what their sales pitch is and how badly they want it gone.

I read it over on my lunch break and Installation looks ridiculous and i think you're right on the gypsum comment.

But, it can be used on the floor where dry wall can't and they compared a 5/8" drywall with a 3/8" of their stuff. Not saying it is better, but there were a few differences with this product.

A good deal of your "Home Depot" kinds of "acoustical" products aren't really studio grade....they are for the home/office environment, to make spaces more speech and living friendly.
That said...this kind of stuff can help, but I think most will end up taming the upper mids & highs, and you still need something studio-focused for your low-mids and lows.

I have some basic drop-ceiling acoustical tiles glued to my sheet-rock ceiling in partial areas, and it did what I wanted...removed some of the flutter-echo that was caused by the bare ceiling...but it works together with my wall-mounted acoustic panels.

But, it can be used on the floor where dry wall can't

True, as long as you don't want to walk on the floor for 30 days! If you just want to tame the highs and hi-mids from the floor, use foam carpet pad and carpet. (Contrary to most studio recommendations of a solid floor).

True, as long as you don't want to walk on the floor for 30 days! If you just want to tame the highs and hi-mids from the floor, use foam carpet pad and carpet. (Contrary to most studio recommendations of a solid floor).

My rooms is opposite. Heavy duty carpet and crapet pad on a concrete floor with a super reflective slightly low ceiling.

Looks like it's really similar to Green Glue. It's just tacky stuff that you put between sheets of rigid material. I'm not familiar enough with the actual data sheet for either material to judge how this stuff stacks up. But I can say that green glue definitely stays tacky. Some of it leaked through a seam on my studio ceiling and it was still sticky to the touch for a couple of weeks until it was painted over.

Back