Snake Box Placement

Mox

Getting a snake today so I can run the wires this weekend...do you guys just leave the box on the ground and then run the cable through the wall, or do you mount the box in the wall like an outlet...or mount in on the outside of the wall like an electrical box? I havent seen many snakes up close, but i don't remember seeing a rim to mount it...they look like they are meant to be portible and just drop it on the floor (like the GhostBusters ghost traps...hows that for a random thought that just jumped in my head!)

thanks and GO OUTSIDE!
It's a nice day! (I'm kinda talkin to myself)
Mox

Rather than use snakes, I like to use thick, individual cables. 1)Each channels line in a snake is very thin. We all know the thicker the wire, the better. 2)Having the lines that close together, especially for the whole 30' or whatever length, can cause crosstalk. If you use individual cables, you can set it up so they're only right next to eachother for a a foot or so when they're strung through the wall.

If your room is small, mounting it on the wall may be a good idea... as floor space is at a premium, and your cables should be able to reach the box from all over the room.

On the other hand, if you have a larger room, leaving the box on the floor will allow it to be moved when necessary... and will also make it easier to reach from all parts of the room.

I have never encountered the aforementioned crosstalk using a snake... but I am sure a cheap snake could give you problems such as that.

Back