Small studio rebuild

McMajik

So we moved out of our previous studio in december, and we're working with the local YMCA at the moment, who have a recording studio they're looking to rebuild. Currently it's just one small room with an abundance of 2" rockwool acoustic treatment and two poorly constructedbroadband absorbers in the corner and it's not pretty. They're looking into making an attached storage room into the control room and just using that as the live room, and they've left most of the design in terms of acoustics to me (I think my ability to measure things with Room EQ wizard impressed them). I designed and helped build our previous studios, but this is new to me in the sense that they want everything designed and built as much as possible in one go, where as previously it's been an ongoing process of tweaking. I think I've got it, but I want to run a few things by you guys

The current plan for the control room is:
Remove two of the existing stud walls and replace them with two new double leaf stud walls (walls in which the outer surfaces are decoupled from eachother), insulated with glass wool, with ~1" OSB or plywood on either side. These walls will be 13-15 inches thick in total. (Which I think should be sufficient, going off of this bbc white paper: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1995-06.pdf ). The OSB or plywood being used to increase the mass of the walls compared to plasterboard.

The ceiling will also be lowered to prevent leakage from the floor above and bring the room dimensions down to something that gives a more even modal response.

Two of the wall-wall corners will have superchunk traps in them, with the faces measuring 84.8cm wide (60cmx1.2m panels cut into 4 triangles each)

Two of the wall/ceiling corners will have 60cmx1.2m panels straddling them

And the back wall will have a large modex plate style absorber installed. 2 inches of foam, then the plate, then 3 inches of rockwool in front.

Here's a rough 3d render of the layout we're planning on: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B38XAcyrLH-NSGN3eWJ1dktBTm8

Does that all look good to you guys? The main thing I'm concerned with is the soundproofing of the wall construction, since that obviously is difficult and expensive to change after it's done.

Thanks ^.^;

Back