Small room acoustics - 703 and tectum board

On A Budget

Go on, push the button
I know the subject of acoustics, bass traps ,and small rooms has been addressed numerous time in this forum. However, I a question regarding the best combination of Owen's 703 and tectum boards(spaghetti board).

I recently bought a house and have been forced to setup my project studio in a square 10' x 10' room with a 4' window. I know these are probably the worst dimensions imaginable, but these are the cards I have been dealt.

I have managed to locate 12 2"x24"x48" Owen's 703 boards (a surprisingly difficult process). In addition, I was gifted a good amount of used tectum (spaghetti) boards.

What would be the best to approach my less than ideal room with the materials I have?

I know bass traps are necessary, but how can I use the tectum board?
Should I incorporate the tectum board into the bass trap design?

Any advise would be helpful,

Thanks in advance,
On A Budget :)

Tectum used in a drop ceiling configuration (in your case a cloud - not a full ceiling) with 6" of fluffy fiberglass on top of it makes an excellent broadband absorber. This could serve a bit of double duty for you to get you some broadband absorbtion, have your cloud for tracking, and not take up any floor space.

You'll still need some additional broadband in some of the corners but this will certainly help. I have no idea how thick your boards are nor how many you have though.

Bryan

3" of Tectum doesn't work bad either if you wanted to double up some of them.

Bryan

Dumb question

bpape said:
Tectum used in a drop ceiling configuration (in your case a cloud - not a full ceiling) with 6" of fluffy fiberglass on top of it makes an excellent broadband absorber. This could serve a bit of double duty for you to get you some broadband absorbtion, have your cloud for tracking, and not take up any floor space.

Does the tectum absorb or diffuse? Should I vary the surface of tectum or make a gobo style flat panels with tectum on one side and fiberglass (covered in burlap) on the other?

Whenever I've used it, the Tectum is on the 'botton' - facing the floor with the insulation above it.

Back