Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 145

Thread: Small Room Acoustics

  1. #131
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Age
    64
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    4192454
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Amser View Post
    Like those waterfall graphs, but can't help you.

    Folks, it's 2016. There must be an app out there that will measure the acoustics in my room and give some (at least basic) guidance of how many 'sabins' of absorption at different frequencies, or where you can put in your absorber's frequency range and get told how many to put up or, at the very least, give you an idea of what frequencies are needing extra treatment.

    Anyone know of any such thing?!
    Yes.

    It's all on my room mode calculators... you'll find them on my resources page. If you need help, let me know.
    Cheers,
    John
    John H. Brandt Acoustic Designs - ABOUT US - OUR WORK - RESOURCES "Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

  2. #132
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Great Lakes Region, N.A.
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    206738
    'Got a question...

    I have FINALLY gotten to the point of acoustic panel installation. I posted about my room waaaay back in November, 2014.

    Here's my Lil' Breast of studio space:
    studio-dims-jpg

    (orig. post about my room is back on page 11 of this thread).

    So I've got a bunch of OC 703. The local source here, N. of Detroit, will not break bundles of 12. So that's what I've got - 12 panels of 2' x 4' x 2" 703.

    As recommended during my original series of posts, I've relocated the business end of my studio to the end with the 6'5" h wall. I'm sitting back at 59" (my 38% mark). And it just so happens that I have just enough 703 at his time to "wrap" my entire workspace at this end of the studio - cover left and right side walls from desk top up to 48", the entire 6'5 wall I'm facing from desktop to top of 6'5" wall, and just about ALL of the sloped ceiling above me from top of 6'5" wall to just about 16" in front of my nose. I think this would be tits. Any thoughts? Anybody even participating in this thread anymore?

    And Brandt - if you're around, I hope you had a great birthday (it was Feb. 25, y'all).

  3. #133
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowell Street Studio, New England
    Posts
    10,778
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 353 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    18138877
    Are you tracking in this room, or just mixing? Do your monitors have rear-firing bass ports?
    For true bass trapping (really all frequencies), you want your traps to be at least 4" thick. 2" is ok for ceiling cloud and side wall point-of-first reflection panels.
    Most important at this stage is the corner bass trapping - so doubling up to 4", 6 of your OC will(almost) do the front corners. If you use 2 panels for a ceiling cloud over your mixing position, that leaves 4 panels - I'd use them for the side walls, and then buy more panels for the rear wall corners and wall-ceiling corner.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

  4. #134
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Great Lakes Region, N.A.
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    206738
    Hey, Mike. How've you been?

    99% mixing.

    As of right now - no rear-firing ports - but who knows the future may bring.

    Inadvertently omitted detail - all 703 is being installed so as to stand-off 2" from wall.

    My current intention is to follow-up the 703 installation by covering the lower 5' of rear wall with thick 705 (possibly FRK) trapping.

  5. #135
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowell Street Studio, New England
    Posts
    10,778
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 353 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    18138877
    Quote Originally Posted by bLUiVORY View Post
    Hey, Mike. How've you been?

    99% mixing.

    As of right now - no rear-firing ports - but who knows the future may bring.

    Inadvertently omitted detail - all 703 is being installed so as to stand-off 2" from wall.

    My current intention is to follow-up the 703 installation by covering the lower 5' of rear wall with thick 705 (possibly FRK) trapping.
    My advice still applies - 4" thick is what you want for bass trapping.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

  6. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Age
    64
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    4192454
    Wow! You guys are STILL using the dense, reflective 703 and even 705!! When lightweight (GFR = 5000 mk/rayls) is far superior?

    Advice: Never, ever use 703 thicker than 2" and just NEVER use 705 for acoustic treatment... unless it is in pre-packaged panels bought from a panel manufacturer. (because it is what it is...)
    Also, 8" of trapping is NOT bass trapping, because it barely gets to 150 Hz at 0 deg incidence.
    Corner trapping is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Putting panels on reflection points is dipping your toes in the water.

    Come on boys! Jump IN! Do it right... do it once.

    Check out my resources page and YouTube channel.
    All the best!
    Cheers,
    John
    John H. Brandt Acoustic Designs - ABOUT US - OUR WORK - RESOURCES "Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

  7. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Age
    64
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    4192454
    Quote Originally Posted by bLUiVORY View Post
    ...And Brandt - if you're around, I hope you had a great birthday (it was Feb. 25, y'all).
    Thank you!!! It was great.
    Cheers,
    John
    John H. Brandt Acoustic Designs - ABOUT US - OUR WORK - RESOURCES "Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

  8. #138
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowell Street Studio, New England
    Posts
    10,778
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 353 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    18138877
    Great info in your videos - specially for those who are in the construction phase of their studio room. For those of us using a pre-existing room, not so much. Our rooms are the dimensions we've got. And 'small' is relative, too. Your room mode demo video, for example - almost a 12' ceiling. I wish I had 12 feet in any dimension in my room. Membrane traps? Great, again, if you've got room for them. If i put as many thick traps as you show in my room, I wouldn't have room for the desk or chair to sit in!
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

  9. #139
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Great Lakes Region, N.A.
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    206738
    Quote Originally Posted by jhbrandt View Post
    Wow! You guys are STILL using the dense, reflective 703 and even 705!! When lightweight (GFR = 5000 mk/rayls) is far superior?

    Advice: Never, ever use 703 thicker than 2" and just NEVER use 705 for acoustic treatment... unless it is in pre-packaged panels bought from a panel manufacturer. (because it is what it is...)
    Also, 8" of trapping is NOT bass trapping, because it barely gets to 150 Hz at 0 deg incidence.
    Corner trapping is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Putting panels on reflection points is dipping your toes in the water.

    Come on boys! Jump IN! Do it right... do it once.

    Check out my resources page and YouTube channel.
    All the best!
    Cheers,
    John
    Hi John.

    Well, since I've ended-up with a 12-pack bundle, I am intending on covering just about 100% of walls of the 'business' end of my little project studio with 2" 703 stood-off the wall 2". The info I've seen indicates this should handle pretty well everything from 250hz up.

    I'll have four panels remaining at this point. Vascilating between installing on the sloped ceiling or on the back wall.

    For bass-trapping, not sure - pink fluffy corner traps?

  10. #140
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Age
    64
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    4192454
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Great info in your videos - specially for those who are in the construction phase of their studio room. For those of us using a pre-existing room, not so much. Our rooms are the dimensions we've got. And 'small' is relative, too. Your room mode demo video, for example - almost a 12' ceiling. I wish I had 12 feet in any dimension in my room. Membrane traps? Great, again, if you've got room for them. If i put as many thick traps as you show in my room, I wouldn't have room for the desk or chair to sit in!
    I know, I know.... I understand. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by bLUiVORY View Post
    Hi John.

    Well, since I've ended-up with a 12-pack bundle, I am intending on covering just about 100% of walls of the 'business' end of my little project studio with 2" 703 stood-off the wall 2". The info I've seen indicates this should handle pretty well everything from 250hz up.

    I'll have four panels remaining at this point. Vascilating between installing on the sloped ceiling or on the back wall.

    For bass-trapping, not sure - pink fluffy corner traps?
    Pink fluffy, of course! If you're not sure, you should do more research. Here's a good online calculator - Multi-layer Absorber Calculator
    The info you've seen is pretty close to correct, but the thing is: The MAIN thing you need to do is from 350 Hz and DOWN. Below 250 Hz are basically ALL THE PROBLEMS! and you've done absolutely nothing for that. Above 250, is really, really easy to correct. It's the bass that is very difficult to control and most people miss it.

    I'm just sayin...
    And as Richard Prior used to say in stand up 'drunk hoodlum to space alien that landed in the Bronx' - "you got to give up d' flyin' saucer baby..." - You've got to give up some space for trapping if you're going to actually 'do any good'. Don't waste your time or money.

    All the best.
    Cheers,
    John
    John H. Brandt Acoustic Designs - ABOUT US - OUR WORK - RESOURCES "Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhbrandt For This Useful Post:


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. My new mix room (and a quasi tracking room for small things)...treatment opinions?
    By Myriad_Rocker in forum Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-27-2010, 08:46
  2. Help with small room treatment! Tracking/live room!
    By mousedadrummer in forum Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 07:51
  3. Small room acoustics - 703 and tectum board
    By On A Budget in forum Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 12:27
  4. small control room acoustics
    By guy1511 in forum Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 08:32
  5. small room, small budget, fiberglass madness
    By jdragoun in forum Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 12:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •