Small ISO room

polarity

I'm thinking of taking the walk in closet in my room (6'4"x 5'2" x 8') and trying to turn it into an iso room/booth. Basically something completely dead and silent for tracking some acoustic guitars, or throwing an amp in to record electric (maybe even a vocal if it's something super quiet).

My though was to frame out all the walls and drop 6" of rockwool on each one. My question is, is there a better way or material (should I use oc703, or pink fluffy stuff or what). Also is it a lost cause and should I not bother.

I'm basically just trying to create a really dry and quiet space to help record some softer sounds without getting a bunch of room noise.

The 703 would be the right choice.

That small.of a room would be fine for putting a cabinet in and close micing it. Acoustic guitar will sound kind of strange, I would think. But it might work.

The biggest problem with vocals is the room will get stuffy and smell very quickly.

If room noise is the consideration, than build a bunch of OC703 framed gobos on feet that you can move around and set up a 'perimeter' to block out the room reflections.
Miking an amp in a small closet (remember it only be 4'2"x5'4" when you're done adding insulation) will work ok because you close mic it. Vocals and acoustic guitar will sound boxy and/or dead.

Yeah the close micing is what I was going for, softer things using close mic and a quieter environment. I was hoping that would solve my problem but it seems like it won't. I already have some traps that I move around (they are rockwool though not 703, 6" deep), although I've only been using 3 making a semi circle around the person. It has improved the sound I'm getting drastically, I was thinking this might take the same idea but make it better.

Glad I posted first, didn't waste time and money this way.

thanks

Back