Small Basement Studio

Slacker90

Hello All,
I am planning a small basement recording space/rehearsal space. I've attached a jpegSmall Basement Studio.jpg w/ a drawing of what the space will look like, right now there is only the exterior walls and chimney. The approximate tracking room size will be 11' x 14'6" and the 'control room' size will be 5' x 12'6". Unfortunately the ceiling height is only 6'6" to the floor joists. I'm looking for advice on how to finish this space. Below are some general notes:
-I understand these dimensions are not good, so I'm just hoping to get the best sound possible within this configuration. This will be for personal use only. I don't have any delusions of grandeur.
-The tracking room will also be the band rehearsal room.
-The north and west exterior walls will have 2x4 walls in front of them.
-I use an old Tascam M-520 mixer into a DAW. I plan to use the 'control room' pretty much only for tracking. For mixing I will have a secondary computer monitor in the tracking room, along with a wireless mouse and keyboard and mix from in there. In addition, the space used for the control room has the plumbing hanging down from the ceiling.
-I'm not sure if I should finish the ceiling w/ sheetrock or leave it open filling the floor joists w/ Roxul or the pink stuff. Same thing for the walls.
-For flooring I'm planning on putting down some peel and stick tiles, mainly to keep the floor to ceiling height as high as possible. However I would consider Pergo or something similar if it will make a difference w/ sound.
-I plan to use bi-fold doors for access into the mechanical rooms and storage closet. Is this good or bad? I'm not worried about the noise from the hot water heater, boiler, etc. as they're not very loud at all and they can easily be turned off during recording.

Thanks for any advice/help

it's not as difficult as you think and the benefits are excellent. on the wall behind the slats - some vertical absorbers will do it. if you make the treatment frames modular, you may be able to reuse in another space later.

Thank you Michael Riley...
Can anyone else give some feedback? Specifically, what would be a good way to finish the walls and ceiling? Should I sheetrock? Leave them open? Sheetrock the walls and leave the ceiling open (cloud?) or vise-versa? While I would like some soundproofing, I'm more concerned with the sound of the room. Also, I'm going to go with pergo for flooring if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

Back