SM 27? for all around?

GtrGtrGtr

Hi guys thinking of grabbing an sm27 for the new digs.

As I move forward in building my studio and as it is not yet up and running I will say I have an sm 57 / 2 sm 58s and a large dia M audio that I really like.

Is the sm 27 a good mic? must have? good starter?

or is it the sm 7b ?

Thanks again for your guidance- Steve

Last edited:
Some Suggestions

The SM7B is one that is recommended here and elsewhere quite often and on my list to buy but many say that it requires a preamp that has a lot of gain so keep that it mind as some mixers or interfaces may not have enough juice to do it justice.

The Aston "Origin" LDC is a new mic on the market from the UK getting a lot of great press/reviews and at $249 would be a good one to consider. Aston Microphones Origin Review | MusicTech.net

The Shure PGA 181 "medium-diaphragm" condensor at $99 won a 2016 Electronic Musician Editors Choice Award due to it being a great all-rounder with recommendations to buy 2 to have a nice stereo pair for less than $200.
Shure PGA181 | Emusician

You might want to consider buying a small diaphragm condensor such as an sE Electronics SE5 for $199 or add another $100 bucks to your $299 and get a pair:
sE Electronics sE5 Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone (Pair) | Musician's Friend

Back