Single Garage as home Studio - advice Plz

holteenderrob

Hi

I'm converting a single garage (that is connected to my neighbours house) as a home studio, I'll be doing electronic music, keyboards, drum machines, vocals etc, but no live drums.

I want to weigh up the cost of doing this.

I have no idea on specifications that would completely soundproof my projects from the neighbours adjacent attached property.

The house is ten years old, garage has big grey blockwork walls with space above in the eves. So I'm guessing I'll need wall, floor, and ceiling insulation. I won't be keeping the Garage door, it'll either be bricked up with a window, or bricked up inside to seal it off, leaving a small space for storage. here's a picture of the house with garage:

3560101664yimg000000.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I want it to look nice, so I don't want egg boxes superglued to the wall! I want it to be sellable later on if we move. And I want to be able to blast out a tune without disturbing my neighbours after midnight.

What type of Wall insulation do I need?:confused:
What type of Floor Insulation do I need?:confused:
What type of Ceiling Insulation do I need?:confused:

Thanks guys!

Looking forward to a response!!!!:)

probably not going to happen dude. sorry.

with the garage actually being connected to your neighbors house, the sound will travel through the vibrations easily and i don't think you're going to be able to get rid of those.

a buddy and i built a 2x6 framed room INSIDE his concrete basement and we did double layer drywall on both sides of the studs and filled with insulation. double layer drywalled the sealing, caulked the joints. even that's not perfect.

thanks for the reply, are you sure though? I'm sure with professional materials in this modern age it would be possible, I mean, companies make a living out of this and I'm sure there are situations similar to this where it's been done. I would expect the main factor to be cost though with more expensive stuff providing better sound proofing.

Back