Should I go for it? and if not

I'd avoid flourescent lights and any kind of dimmers for sure.

I dunno why but I can't use any of the new energy saving bulbs they've come out with in the last few years - they, and flourescent bulbs, make me feel like shit. No, I'm not imagining it.

It sure must smell nice with all that spruce around.

It smells AWESOME with all that spruce around. The aroma floors you about half way up the stairs. I'm psyched. I have 3 fans on it 24/7 and so far (in 48 hours) the dehumidifier has pulled 2 full containers of water out.

As for the design - like I said earlier I love the 'real studio' design but I'm going with the 'comfy living room' approach.

Oops I forgot to address the 'lectricity. I know I have 2 separate lines for the wall plugs but I'm not sure if the lights are on that too. Most likely. I was planning on using fluorescent cuz I only have 7.5' ceilings. They would make for a lower profile. I didn't get any boxes installed because of this. I have new ballasts in the garage and they don't hum, not audibly. I know what you're saying about them introducing a buzz in the system. If that happens I'll use the flourescents when I need lots of light and use lamps when I'm recording. Lava lamps. Mmmm; Lava.

Late to this conversation!

My basic advice would be to do what you're suggesting, keep the room open and big. Those low ceiling are gonna cause problems, I fear.

If money were no major issue (ha!), I'd think about building the loft to be just partial, so that the garage would be full height, for at least some of the space. Put the control room upstairs, but use the garage for tracking drums, etc.

Low ceilings over a drum kit just make things difficult, unless you're going to install some serious absorption and go for a 70's dead drum sound.

I've recorded all over the place and my favorite recordings come from big open warehouse type spaces, usually untreated, just concrete walls, currogated metal roof, cement floor, maybe with some industrial carpet.

The BBC I think it was came to the conclusion that no room smaller than 1500 cubic feet was usable for recording. I tend to agree, especially with loud sources like drumkits.

Have fun, use your ears. I think studio design is 95% hype to get clients to spend more. There are a few situations where a well treated room is very important. ADR for film, soundtrack work involving live orchestra, etc.

But for rock music? Move the mics, throw up a few packing blankets if you need it. I've worked in every type of space and never has the room stopped us from making a good recording. By that, I mean, I don't believe that a 'better' room would have made a material difference in the final product.

Have fun!

Thanks Frank.
To answer why not - the only reason would be is that it is a very permanent modification to the space. If I knew that I could achieve a good sound without the 2 leaf walls then I would probably go that route; a bit easier and less $$.

I'm thinking ditch the small booth all together and have a longer control room.
Any thoughts on that?

Unless you need the room for the control area I'd keep the smaller room. I think it would work rather nice.

The low ceiling. Yeah. A pain but it's the best I can do. As for a partial loft - out of the question. The building is completed. (I really need to take some video for you guys).

The low ceiling. Yeah. A pain but it's the best I can do. As for a partial loft - out of the question. The building is completed. (I really need to take some video for you guys).

That's cool, you can make it work. You could get a nice snake and drop it down the stairs if you wanted to track in the garage (when it's warmer!)

I did a session the other day in an unheated practice space (the kind I like, with high ceilings, etc, big roll up door) and while it was ok during he day, when it got late the temp dropped into the 30's, which was too cold for my taste. We drank a lot of coffee!

(this is Phoenix, so we're not used to the cold, I grew up in Michigan though, so I have some recollection of it!)

Back