shed studio woes

Dacalm01

Hello my name Is Reggie I just bought a new home wife kicked studio out of house, so I'm looking into either buying an 8X10 or 10x10 shed or building one out of wood being that I would have a lot of work soundproofing a metal one.I need help also with the sound proofing. Wish I had the space like I saw in Ricks Photos. Thanks for any and all help.

Sorry. As long as I have been hanging around here, I should be able to answer your questions. But.......I can't. I will tell you though that recording in a shed should produce a mighty fine County Song.

You definetly came to the right place to get your answers.

Good Luck Stockton

Dacalm,
I'm knee deep in the middle of building something similar to what you're doing. My band purchased a 16 X 12 "shed" that will be used for practice/recording. It's not gonig to be soundproof, but it'll get the job done. On top of the building construction studs we installed about 1 1/2" of rigid fiberglass. I tihnk it's a little thicker than the 703, you can't bend it without breaking off. 2 layers of r-19 insulation around the building. the floor we're putting a layer of fiberglass down, along with 4 mil plastic sheet foam and carpet. It's not great, but it'll get the job done. We also constructed a small mix room 4' x 3' (just enough to honestly mix) and a small isolation booth that is just enough for one person to stand comfortably with elbows out :D
It's going to be bright in there, but we have acoustic treatment to take care of high end stuff.
It's not going to be the greatest thing, but we needed something, and this was a balnce b/w budget and time schedules. I'll post some pictures as soon as my guitarist e-mails them

my band actually had an old trailer....but then me, the drummer and bassist moved into a house together.....problem solved...so i cant be of much use

If this were the type of shed that they sell at Home Depot then never mind the soundproofing I would not regard them as weatherproof enough to keep or use musical instruments or recording equipment in.

If your neighborhood has large enough lots and loose enough zoning to allow for something like a truck container then you might be able to build an inner shell inside of it to get a double-leaf isolated construction.

Or if budget is low there might be another choice. Rent a Personal storage space and store your stuff/practice in it.

Hey GA did you purchase a wooden or metal shed to work with? I'm so confused with all of this and I'm in construction (scary huh)!

Back