shed to a studio?

dietcookie

I plan on building a shed in the backyard but putting drywall inside and having soundboard and what not. Would 10x12 be ok size for jam room as well as room for a computer? Maybe 12x12? I want to make it as big as possible but my backyard might not accomodate what I really want. Should I make the roof at a slant or double slant (don't know what those are called?) and inside, should I not do anything to the ceiling but then hang bass traps down? I want to be able to isolate the room as much as I can from the outside (so I can jam later in the night) but as well have the room sound decent. I have been recording in a garage so anything might sound better. Basicly all im asking is for tips to throw me in the right direction and if any has shed plans, that would be great too. thanks!

There's a thread above discussing the same "shed to studio" situation. When you say "jam" what do you mean? Be more specific about your needs - i.e. what instruments during jam, what instruments during recording? What is the ambient noise like in your neighborhood? 10x12 seems a bit small, but it might be okay depending on your needs. And I'm assuming 10x12 is the inside size.

- oldboy

Do NOT make it square. Or you have a perfect standing wave enclosure. I built a shed 10 x 14, for a LITTLE shop. Man it WAS little. But my old "studio" was 9'x11'. Barely had room for 3 people. Standing. Or sitting at my console, but forget drums. No room. But I had a ball in that little ole studio. It all depends on what your intent is. Are you pouring a slab, or piers and joists?
fitZ

Sorry I wasn't clear. It will be the typical instruments. Drums, Guitar, bass, piano. Recording all instruments. The ambient noise in my neighborhood is ok..I jam in mny garage till about 9pm I just want to extend that to maybe 10pm or so. I plan on making the foundation with concrete piers

Recording guitar/bass/drums/piano all at once in that space is going to be tough. It's a small space and I don't know how you're going to be able to isolate each sound source so that they aren't bleeding into each other all over the place. It's not a trivial problem. As for just not disturbing your neighbors while jamming, your biggest problem will the drums. You'll definitely need to do a room in a room. Go read johnlsayers's forum if you haven't already - there's a lot of good information out there.

- oldboy

Why don't you build a decent size shed. Then, move your garage stuff into it. Then build your studio inside the garage.

oldboy said:
Recording guitar/bass/drums/piano all at once in that space is going to be tough. It's a small space and I don't know how you're going to be able to isolate each sound source so that they aren't bleeding into each other all over the place. It's not a trivial problem. As for just not disturbing your neighbors while jamming, your biggest problem will the drums. You'll definitely need to do a room in a room. Go read johnlsayers's forum if you haven't already - there's a lot of good information out there.

- oldboy

Well I won't have the problem of bleed over because I never record live. I've been in a room that was 14x8 i believe and it was kinda small but I can fit everything in it. And for my neighbors, right now I jam in the garage which is uninsulated all that is seperating us and the street is the plywood garage door so it gets loud and we jam till 9 with not problem. The thing is, everyone inside the house can hear us so I want to just cut down on the sound so my family doesn't get annoyed with me everytime I jam. That would be great if I could build a room in a room but it's just too much for what i'm trying to do.

And moving my studio into the garage would be too expensive.

So what should I buy in terms of foam, bass traps, soundboard?

Back