Shed for Recording Studio ???

PoorBoyRecordings

Hey guys ... and girls. I have tried 3 times to get this msg up bud having trouble with attaching pics. This may be one of, or THE dumbest question ever asked. I have a 10' x 12' metel storage shed with some thoughts about using it for " my little room " to record. The pics are pretty much self explanitory. i was think of arcing the ceiling from front to back, but don't know if that would let the sounds bounce all every thing and place and think like a super ball even with proper accoustic treatment. the pics are just of the shed for your thoughts. I know "small" is not good, but currently all i have. the inside would be insulated and 1/2" plywood walls. the shed is not the heviest of metals, so have to watch the weight limit also.

IMG_0312.jpgIMG_0313.jpgIMG_0314.jpg:facepalm:

If that's all you have, you just answered your own question...I guess it'll have to do. It is HOME recording after all...eg: working within the limitations you have at home. Best of luck!

I guess I didn't really help though...What are you recording in there?

Since all the walls are metal, they'll likely produce some nasty sonic flavors. When you insulate it, you should leave out the dry wall portion, put up some studs (which I'm sure you will if you're insulating). So I guess step 1 would be vapor barrier? Then studs, OC703 or 705, then staple up some fabric. I didn't put any fancy steps like leaving air gaps and this and that to isolate bass frequencies only because your space is very limited. Since space is limited, you'll likely only be able to fit four bass traps (1 in each corner) and you probably won't have room to have any bass traps at the ceiling/wall joints. Google how to build a bass trap panel, or search on here. I'd pad over with some thick foam (or hang a piece of 703) above your head on the ceiling where you will be sitting to mix. Also, you'll need to do something about that floor. I see moisture near the wall on the plywood and it reminds me of my shed: not sealed well from the outdoors.

But before you consider any of the above, what about heating/cooling, humidity control, ventilation in general, security, etc? I'd say that's the most important to worry about first.

In the meantime before you insulate that shed, get that mixer and those speakers outta there! Frost from overnight and humidity during the day will not be favorable conditions for gear.

Good luck.

My brothers and I converted a 9' by 11' shed space into a live room and small mixing room. The cieling is identical to yours. It sounds fine although it is wooden instead of metal. With the right treatment and the plywood yours should sound fine. You might want to get bass traps or other sound absortion to put in a couple places. I dont know if this helps but good luck regardless!

Back