Shed practice space design

ShedRock

My keys player just moved into a new house with a nice little shed in the back. We have been looking for a music space for a while and this shed seems to have potential. I have been doing some reading into sound proofing/acoustic treatment and have a decent grasp of the concepts but not the technical jargon.

The shed is made out of sheet metal (not sure what type of metal) offering little in the way of a sound barrier. There is a metal door and small window that are going to need treatment. (I will get specific measurements and pictures up here soon). Other than that, there are studs with some shelving mounted up towards the ceiling overhead to work with. I was thinking about doing a combination of Roxul 7.25 rockwool paneling and hanging fabric to treat the walls. I am thinking about doing with plywood and spray foam pannels I am going to make myself on the ceiling, possible hang some fabric there too. I also want to make a rolling panel to help calm the drums down before they get too loud within the space.

Thoughts?

Well, without measurements, etc....it's pretty hard to help you.

But I'm wondering what you mean by "hanging fabric". Are you trying to sound-proof the room or treat it acoustically? Either way, I can't say for sure without knowing what this "hanging fabric" is made of, but I'm guessing it's not going to accomplish much for either sound-proofing or sound treatment.

More details will definitely help.

I think sound proofing is the main priority here. There is not a lot between the shed and neighbors.

The fabric would probably be more for aesthetic purposes than anything else, but I have a couple cool tapestries that I was thinking might help break the sound up a little if I hung them in front of the paneling. I have seen some buildings with billowed fabric/ hanging fabric on the ceilings. I know my high school cafeteria and mall area had them. Is there any value in this technique for the purposes of a practice space.

The only thing that sound proofs a shed is mass. You will need to line the shed walls and ceiling with a good insulation and then cover with heavy wood paneling, maybe 2 layers. You want no gaps to the outside all doors will need to be heavy and maybe double doors, windows will need to be filled in or double glazed. There are no short cuts to sound proofing.

Once sound proofed then the acoustic treatment starts inside to make it sound good in the room.

Alan.

Back