shed conversion.

mr_vegas72

i've got a garden shed, about 8' X 9' want to put my audio equipment in there. it's pretty basic stuff but someone mentioned that damp could be a problem. is there a way to combat this? as i'd hate to ruin my precious turntables more than anything else. has anyone or does anyone know anyone that has a studio in their shed? any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

I turned my shed into a drum room... it wasnt easy and its still not particularly effective. I hope that noise wont be a problem also, because shed's are totally impossibly to get isolated.. i sealed mine up, built walls inside and had insulation between them.. and it was still fair loud outside.

I left the kit in there without using it for a while, and because of the difficulty with making it seal-tight.. a small amount fo water did alot of damage, leaving parts of my kit rusty... make sure you literally seal the place off as much as possible, make sure your door fastens tight with door seals on!

I dont know if the whole garage thing is a good idea or not, but i do know its a difficult way to achieve the results needed!

I'm building a shed studio too, and I'm having some problems with dampness.

Maybe line inside with osb, and then plasterboard, paint the outside with a sealant paint, and redo the felt roofing(maybe just a 2nd layer over the original).

Will you want to insulate the shed for noise, or is that not a problem? If yeah, then bulk up the shed will osb between the joists, and then build a room within the shed, decoupled from the outer, and fill the void with insulation.

The shed is only 8'x9' so this might not be practical, but i suppose my control room will only be 6 1/2' x 7 1/2', which is probably the size you'd end up with.

Fit a new solid core door, or bulk up the existing with MDF, and add door seals. If you go with the room within the room idea, then install a second door that swings inwards, also with seals.

If you are unsure with what I mean, just ask and I'll draw and post a picture.
Also, what i suggest may be totally wrong, so don't do it until it has been approved by Rick or someone.

shed conversion

thanks for the advice. noise aint a problem as it's 60 feet from our house and about 80 from anyone elses. the plasterboard/mdf idea is a good one cheers and i could fit a better door and seals no problems. do you think covering up the decks and amp etc with plastic sheeting and putting loads of silica gel in there would prevent them being damaged? i guess i'm asking the worng kinda questions but i'm on a very tight budget and am trying to use things i may have or things i could make fairly easily.

what kind of shed do you have? Metal or wood frame?

I had a wood frame built by Tuff Shed (10x12) that I converted into a control room. I had to use insulation, and dry wall to cover the inside walls, then purchase acoutic foam kit to help with the sound. I will try to post up photos today.

john

Back