Seeking advice for small home studio

TJW

I'm new to this forum but have written songs for many years and have been recording for the last 6 years. Up to this point, I have done It from my computer desk in the bedroom. Although it has been convenient, as you can imagine, it has its limitations. I am currently in the process of converting a small 10' x 10' room into my new recording space; probably not the ideal size but it's what I have to work with. It has hard wood floors and a window on two of the four walls. I have been Doing a lot of research but obviously no two rooms are alike. I primarily just record acustic guitar and vocals. bass and keys are lined in. I have read a great deal recently on the subject of acustic treatments but wondered if anyone could provide any advice on getting started with this project.

Thanks!

Tom

Square rooms are not good (cubes are worse) due to the standing waves that get built up. I assume you will also be mixing in this room, not just tracking?
Superchunks or bass traps (4" thick rockwool) in the corners, 2" rockwool traps on side walls at point of first reflection, and for a ceiling cloud - these are from your mixing point.
What you will be fighting is the 'small room boxy' sound. Have a few of the bass traps set up so you can move them around as gobos to block unwanted reflections while tracking.

Last edited:
Yes, mixing will take place in this room also. Thanks for the advice! I know it's not ideal but I'm going to try and make the best of what I have. Given the demensions of the room, how sizable and how many base traps would you suggest? Again... Thank you for your time.

Yes, mixing will take place in this room also. Thanks for the advice! I know it's not ideal but I'm going to try and make the best of what I have. Given the demensions of the room, how sizable and how many base traps would you suggest? Again... Thank you for your time.
As many as you can afford and squeeze in there. Typical traps are 2'x4' (due to the size of the rockwool panels), so have them floor-to-ceiling in the corners.

Back