search for diffusers to fit ceiling grid

RawDepth

Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive diffuser that will fit/drop right into a 2' x 4' suspended tile ceiling grid?

Or perhaps any DIY ideas using the same T-grid.

(My new room project needs to stay on budget.)

Yes, I may resort to making my own.

Many of the commercial sellers are not saying much about the construction materials used.

I will likely use wood for my wall diffusers. But I don't know about in that ceiling grid. I may end up molding some out of plastic or fiberglass for weight considerations. Does it matter what they are made of? Does it matter how thin the membrane material is? Does it matter if it resonates?

Thanks for the help.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want diffusion rather than absorption on the ceilings???

Just out of curiosity, why do you want diffusion rather than absorption on the ceilings???

This is for a control room. It is for the back half of the room toward the rear wall.

At the front of the room I will use about 2" absorption at the first reflection points, (walls and ceiling.) And of course traps in all corners. But I understand the remaining walls and ceiling should be a mix of diffusion and absorption just to keep the room alive. I wish to have diffusion on the rear wall and part of the ceiling above the rear wall.

So, some of the ceiling grid will have drop-in painted drywall squares, some will have drop-in absorbers, and some will have drop-in diffusers. All depending on the areas.

I do have a separate tracking room, but I may use that rear most area for tracking on occasion. Mix position floor will be carpet, rear half of room will be hardwood or tile.

Ah, I see. I really was asking to inform myself, not to challenge you to come up with an answer. Thanx. :cool:

The reason I asked is because I watched all of Ethan's videos, and I remember him saying that, in general, he prefers absorption to diffusion in almost all situations (I hope I'm not mis-quoting him, that's just the general impression I got from watching his vids.)

Last edited:
I watched all of Ethan's video, and I remember him saying that, in general, he prefers absorption to diffusion in almost all situations

Yes and no. You always need absorption in corners for bass traps, and I prefer absorbers at the side-wall and ceiling reflection points. Then you can use either absorbers or diffusors elsewhere. Most people I help in forums are on a budget, and good absorption costs a lot less than good diffusion. But when having the "best" matters more than cost, diffusors all around a room - and especially on the rear wall - can be awesome. In case you missed it, this recent video lets you hear the sound of a room with and without extensive diffusion:

Hearing is Believing

--Ethan

Yes and no. You always need absorption in corners for bass traps, and I prefer absorbers at the side-wall and ceiling reflection points. Then you can use either absorbers or diffusors elsewhere. Most people I help in forums are on a budget, and good absorption costs a lot less than good diffusion. But when having the "best" matters more than cost, diffusors all around a room - and especially on the rear wall - can be awesome. In case you missed it, this recent video lets you hear the sound of a room with and without extensive diffusion:

Hearing is Believing

--Ethan

Thanx for clearing that up, Ethan.

Yes, I watched that, and all the videos on your page several times each. Great stuff!

Back